Camillus Mk2

Steve S.

Christmas came early this year. Picked this up for $23 on ebay, probably went so cheap because there was no real description. After about an hr of work, it turned out to be a late war guard marked knife that has never been sharpened. leather grip was a little rough, so sanded, redyed & polished with a sheepskin hide.

post-161323-0-23171200-1480191818_thumb.jpg

I generally cringe at the word restore. You see so many things go wrong in the attempt.

This one looks pretty good from here. Nice find and it looks like good work.

Heres an M3 Where I had a bare blade & pommel that came with some other stuff I picked up. Made the guard & leather handle

post-161323-0-12758400-1480193246_thumb.jpg

post-161323-0-28900100-1480193256.jpg

Steve - what you accomplished on that MKII handle is nothing short of art. VERY nice work. Really good read on the dye and finish.

You got skills man!

Selfishly, would love to see you do a tutorial on making a stacked leather handle, like you did on the M3.

Steve - what you accomplished on that MKII handle is nothing short of art. VERY nice work. Really good read on the dye and finish.

You got skills man!

Selfishly, would love to see you do a tutorial on making a stacked leather handle, like you did on the M3.

Thanks! I reproduce/repair/restore the old flight jackets, so always playing around with mixing dyes/blending etc. on those & have come up with a few tricks that also work well on the knife handles which is something I've just recently tried my hand at.

Will do on the tutorial. May have to wait until the workload settles a bit. Right now I have 11 vintage Harleys to paint, 2 new jacket orders & 6 jacket repair jobs going. I fiddle with the knives while I'm waiting on things to dry / between coats of paint etc.

You need someone to come over and be your goffer? Harley's, flight Jackets, and knives. As a kid I worked in a fabrication shop, I know how to not get in the way. :)

You need someone to come over and be your goffer? Harley's, flight Jackets, and knives. As a kid I worked in a fabrication shop, I know how to not get in the way. :)

C'mon over, I'll put you to work! Have one customer who just bought an 80 bike collection (all unrestored pre 64 Harleys) & he's sending parts as quick as he can get them taken apart.

Here's one lot of A-2's I did repair work on a couple months back:

post-161323-0-83285700-1480222385.jpg