Cold weather field trousers, nylon/cotton, woodland camo.

pawtwo

Hello,

On the picture below there are woodland camo cold weather field trousers made the same way as OG107 M65 field trousers.

According to nsn now these were produced beetween 1985 and 1989. ECWCS manual states that these are part of I gen ECWCS system as an outer layer when ECWCS gore tex trousers weren't needed or inner insulating layer.

I cannot find any photos showing anyone using them. Anyone remember using these? Does these were also used with woodland camo field jacket as a part of cold wet uniform?

post-162935-0-30893300-1480096565.jpg

a friend that was in the Army as ranger and in the 82nd from mid 80s to early 00 mentioned to me one time that they knew these existed but they were never issued to them , just had the M65 woodland field jacket and later the gortex et

I have never seen these pants with my own eyes

Maybe someone who served in Alaska used these with ECWCS?

Are these common in surplus stores in USA? Here in Poland you can buy them easily. Lots of these can be found in bases in Germany.

I searched through pictures from Reforger, Bosnia and Kosovo. It seems that these didn't saw much use. OG107 were still more popular in 80s.

I recall having these in the Army Reserve unit I served in, but that was in the 90's. The OG107 field pants that you mentioned were issued to me at Ft Campbell in the 80's and I wore them in Alaska as well as in Berlin in the late 80's, while I was on active duty. The Army had two Cold weather clothing issues, the Wet Cold issue and the Dry Cold issue. Not too much difference in the clothing, Field pants, wool shirt, parka with liner and hood, cold weather and vapor barrier boots, scarf, pile cap, ect. When I came back to the states I was not in a unit that was issued field gear until the Army Reserves. By this time in the mid 90's the reserve unit I was in still did not have the Gortex system but we were issued the woodland Cold Weather pants and cold weather boots. We wore field jackets and poly pros and a little later on we started getting the Gortex jackets and pants.

Leigh

• 2 weeks later...

I was issued a pair of these around 1986. I was in the PA National Guard. Most cold weather gear was organizational issue, meaning that you had turn it in when you left the unit. Almost all of our cold weather clothing was new or near new Korean war surplus. The woodland pattern field trousers were interchangeable with the OG Model 51 and the Model 65. They were all issued to Soldiers in the unit. When I left the unit I turned in an old set of model 51's I acquired and kept the woodland ones. I still have them. Most didn't seem to get into the supply system until the late eighties when the ECWCS started to be issued. I'm not sure when the old OG 108 wool uniform with the M65 field trousers was no longer authorized for wear, but it was still shown in the 2005 version of AR 670-1. However, I don't remember anyone wearing it after the late nineties. And yes, they were worn with the BDU field jacket.

In fact I couldn't find any photo from 90s with M51 wool uniform.

Do you remember wearing these woodland trousers with wool OG108 shirt?

By the early 1990's most Army units were switching from the old 1950's style cold weather gear to the ECWCS gore tex stuff. I was issued a pair of green field pants in Germany along with liners, as well as an M1951 parka. This was in 1987.

By the time I got to Korea in 1991, we were no longer issued the old field trousers or field jacket with our CIF issue. Instead we got the gore tex parka, pants and the thick polypropylene "Bear suit" to wear underneath.

I have seen the camo field pants, usually at surplus stores and in apparently unissued condition. I think they were produced in the late 80's and by the time they were produced, the Army was going away from the field pants and M1951 parka in favor of the ECWCS gore tex.

BTW, was the M1951 parka ever produced in BDU Woodland camo? I've never seen one but I figured I'd ask.

I came across a couple of pair of these trousers and parkas around Ft Bragg over the years. Not sure if this is the type of parka you're asking about or not.

post-150797-0-44906700-1481251487_thumb.jpg

post-150797-0-91118500-1481251496.jpg

@BagmanL6:

- in which years period it was? Late 80s, 90s?

- how did you used it? Over wool pants, polypros or over BDU pants? If these was used, what would be worn on top? BDU blouse and field jacket or wool shirt and field jacket or ECWCS parka over BDU blouse/ECWCS pile shirt?

Cold weather clothing is very interesting to me as you can't really see many good photos of it in use. Also depending on conditions I see from pictures that different units used their gear a little different way. The most popular setup from 90s seen on photos are BDU (probably with polypro top) + ECWCS parka seen in Bosnia/Kosovo. Sometimes you can see ECWCS trousers.

Again, according to ECWCS manual from 1987 these trousers were designed as to be worn over polypros and in colder climate also over liners and under ECWCS trouser.

I've seen pictures of the Army wearing the pants while playing in the snow in Alaska. Also the Wool shirt was still being worn in the early 90's there. I remember seeing pictures of the cadre at the winter school at Wainwright wearing them. Also there are pictures of the Marines in Norway wearing them.