• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 jgawne

jgawne
  • Inactive
    • Member ID: 1,657
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 12:04 PM

I'm wondering if anyone has ever found any of the sales catalogs companies used to try and get towns to buy these for their service men.

As I look at variations I see similar fronts, backs, pins, etc all in different configurations. So I wonder how many companies made them, and if if it was a question of choose style A,B or C, obverse stamping, reverse stamping, hanger, etc.

I also am surprised by how few seem to have been engraved. I wonder if this was pretty much expected to be done by the vet himself.

#2 swag

swag
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,757
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 12:16 PM

I've wondered that myself. I know Baily, Banks, and Biddle made town medals as well as Whitehead & Hoag and I seem to remember seeing one or two other companies on more than one town medal, but their names escapes me right now.

#3 bigredone

bigredone
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,937
  • 350 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 12:29 PM

I know they were selling standard soldier statues for town squares. A WW1 soldier with fixed bayonet. There's one still in the Hobart, Indiana area and another not too far from that.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever found any of the sales catalogs companies used to try and get towns to buy these for their service men.

As I look at variations I see similar fronts, backs, pins, etc all in different configurations. So I wonder how many companies made them, and if if it was a question of choose style A,B or C, obverse stamping, reverse stamping, hanger, etc.

I also am surprised by how few seem to have been engraved. I wonder if this was pretty much expected to be done by the vet himself.

#4 jgawne

jgawne
  • Inactive
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 01:19 PM

[quote name='bigredone' date='Oct 1 2008, 04:29 PM' post='204894']
I know they were selling standard soldier statues for town squares.

Yeah, the next town over has one. Pretty nice actually.

I just wondered if they had town to town traveling salesmen for medals.

One more thing to look into I guess.

#5 jjdevi1

jjdevi1
  • Inactive
    • Member ID: 857
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 08:35 AM

All,

I've been collecting town victory medals for quite a while, and as far as naming goes, the answer seems to be all, some, or none. Towns like Stamford CT, and Rochester NY, all that I've seen have been engraved. I'm pretty sure this was done by the town itself, all the engraving that I've seen on these was identical. Not saying that all were, but all that I've come across have been. Then there is the some category. Washington DC is a case in point. I've only seen one engraved one, and I got that in a church flea market about a year ago. All the other DC ones that I've had or seen weren't engraved. The none category is all over the map. The smaller towns, most that I've owned/seen weren't engraved.

Then, you have the ones that the vet had engraved. These are all over the map as far as towns and locations go. If you want a good listing of local/state victory medals, get ahold of Andrew Lipps. He sells a good list pretty cheaply. This is one area where I like E-Bay a lot. Towns that aren't in the list pop up, and I can add to the great list that Andrew has going. I recommend Andrew's list!

John

#6 Bugme

Bugme

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 1,726
  • 15,141 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 08:51 AM

I've only got one of these. It was given to my Father-in-law upon his return from the PTO. Sorry about the picture but it's in a sealed display case and I really don't want to mess with opening it up. But, the front shows the logo of the state of Wisconsin and the back side is made, not engraved, with the words: From The Grateful Citizens Of Manitowoc, Wisconsin

Attached Images

• Purple_Heart_Minnick.jpg

#7 paulyp99

paulyp99
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,656
  • 303 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 10:22 AM

I've seen many from Salem, Massachusetts. most are not engraved, but very few I have seen were. Here is a picture of the one I have that is engraved. I haven't been able to research the man who it is engraved to.
Posted Image

This is the front side of another one. that is mint.
Posted Image

#8 Fred Borgmann

Fred Borgmann
  • Members
    • Member ID: 591
  • 699 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 12:45 PM

I've seen many from Salem, Massachusetts. most are not engraved, but very few I have seen were. Here is a picture of the one I have that is engraved. I haven't been able to research the man who it is engraved to.
Posted Image

This is the front side of another one. that is mint.
Posted Image

There were more makers "than you can shake a stick at". The WWI medals books by Small and Planck list most if not all the known makers. Most designs were stock designs with inscription changes as required by the buyers from local government units to private groups and individuals. Most had blank spaces for naming and most had to be named by the veterans themselves. Most are bronze but there are some silver and gold versions also, sometimes of the same medal. Posthumous medals were usually issued named and often in gold or gold plated. I have never seen a sales catalog for these medals but I do have about half a dozen salesmans sample medals in my collection which are uniface. Fred

#9 Fred Borgmann

Fred Borgmann
  • Members
  • 699 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 12:53 PM

I've only got one of these. It was given to my Father-in-law upon his return from the PTO. Sorry about the picture but it's in a sealed display case and I really don't want to mess with opening it up. But, the front shows the logo of the state of Wisconsin and the back side is made, not engraved, with the words: From The Grateful Citizens Of Manitowoc, Wisconsin

This piece was issued by Manitowoc County which had 6,492 of it's citizens in the military during WWII. It was not holed and not named when issued. It is also one of the few government issued medals that was not intended to be worn on a ribbon.

#10 Bugme

Bugme

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
  • 15,141 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 01:00 PM

This piece was issued by Manitowoc County which had 6,492 of it's citizens in the military during WWII. It was not holed and not named when issued. It is also one of the few government issued medals that was not intended to be worn on a ribbon.

Wow, I didn't know all that Fred, where did you locate this information! Also, I should have mentioned that it wasn't a medal but, I think it's pretty easy to tell that by the picture.

#11 Fred Borgmann

Fred Borgmann
  • Members
  • 699 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 01:14 PM

Wow, I didn't know all that Fred, where did you locate this information! Also, I should have mentioned that it wasn't a medal but, I think it's pretty easy to tell that by the picture.

The Manitowoc County piece is a medal, it is a nonportable medal meaning that it was not intended to be worn. It looks like yours is holed which if it is holed was done by the vet to put it on a chain. The number of people in service comes from the Wisconsin Blue Book 1962 edition which contains the best military history of Wisconsin ever published and the rest comes from my 40+ years of collecting local issue war service medals.

#12 Bugme

Bugme

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
  • 15,141 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 01:34 PM

The Manitowoc County piece is a medal, it is a nonportable medal meaning that it was not intended to be worn. It looks like yours is holed which if it is holed was done by the vet to put it on a chain. The number of people in service comes from the Wisconsin Blue Book 1962 edition which contains the best military history of Wisconsin ever published and the rest comes from my 40+ years of collecting local issue war service medals.

Thanks Fred. Yes, he did drill it and wore it around his neck for years. The veteran was my Father-in-law Pfc. Ervin Zimmerman USAAF. He grew up near Suring, WI and then moved to Manitowoc in the early 40's.

#13 Fred Borgmann

Fred Borgmann
  • Members
  • 699 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 06:32 PM

By the way if anyone here would like a copy of the 1962 Wisconsin Blue Book that I mentioned above I just listed one for sale in the For Sale section of this forum. I haven't seen one in the local antique malls for years now. Fred

#14 jgawne

jgawne
  • Inactive
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 08:01 AM

A minor tidbit about townmedlas was that my Grandfather enlisted from Minnisota and never got a state or town medal upon his return (if they even did one) even tought he was very very involved with the American Legion.

But about 5 years later he moved to Lake Forest Ill- and as he was the bugler at all their events and burals he was given the Lake Forest service medal- so in at least that one case a guy not from the town was given their medal.

I guess they just must have had extra (as a very rich town) and anted to do something for all his work.

I've been slowly collecting photos of various serivce medals with the ideaof someday (!) when I have time putting them on the web

#15 kfields

kfields
  • Members
    • Member ID: 60
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 01:05 PM

This is a collecting niche of mine. In my earlier years, I used to collect anything and everything militaria. I soon became frustrated with that and learned to narrow my focus more in line with my ability to buy what I really want. Same with these town medals. 3 or 4 years ago, I decided to narrow my town medal collecting to Ohio and now have about 16 of them. I sort of doubt I'll find them all before I stop collecting but at least I have a more realistic goal !
Here is the only named town medal I have. This is from Hudson, Ohio. I have a copy of a vintage period newspaper article somewhere around here showing that only about 110 vets were given these. This one was made by Whitehead & Hoag. Kim

Attached Images

• MVC_173S.JPG
  • MVC_172S.JPG

Edited by kfields, 04 October 2008 - 01:06 PM.

#16 BEAST

BEAST
  • Members
    • Member ID: 203
  • 10,223 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 01:59 PM

This is one of my favorite areas to collect also, although I focus on the medals of Indiana.

Here is a little bit of a variation, a county medal wih a gold star added for a soldier who dies while in the service. Carl Frantz died on influenza before going overseas.

FRANTZ_FRONT.jpg

#17 BEAST

BEAST
  • Members
    • Member ID: 203
  • 10,223 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 02:00 PM

Obverse:

FRANTZ_REAR.jpg

#18 Jeffrey Magut

Jeffrey Magut
  • Members
    • Member ID: 121
  • 356 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 08:12 AM

Here are two less commonly seen Connecticut town medals: Shelton and Middlebury. Note that these have no place for engraving the name of the recipient.

Attached Images

• 083.JPG

Edited by Jeffrey Magut, 05 October 2008 - 08:37 AM.

#19 Jeffrey Magut

Jeffrey Magut
  • Members
    • Member ID: 121
  • 356 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 08:13 AM

Here are the backs

Attached Images

• 085.JPG

#20 APO472

APO472

INACTIVE

• Inactive
    • Member ID: 261
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 11:31 AM

Here is an un-named one from Reading, Mass.

Attached Images

• 036.JPG
  • 038.JPG

#21 hhbooker2

hhbooker2
  • Members
    • Member ID: 837
  • 9,387 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 11:29 AM

http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/think.gif "Greetings & Salutations!" Here is the obverse and reverse views of a post-WW1 medal that I do not know which town or state issued it or whatever it was called? Your guesses might help indentify it? Thanks! http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/think.gif Sarge Booker of Tujunga, California ( [email protected] )

Attached Images

• Unnamed_WW1_Medal_x.jpg

#22 hhbooker2

hhbooker2
  • Members
    • Member ID: 837
  • 9,387 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 11:33 AM

:rolleyes: Although this medal was issued by the State of Wyoming probably after the First World War, its not a town medal, but what was its name? (Shown here both sides). :rolleyes: Sarge Booker of Tujunga.

Attached Images

• 1917_1918_State_of_Wyoming_WW1_Service_x.jpg

Edited by hhbooker2, 10 November 2008 - 11:33 AM.

#23 Wailuna

Wailuna
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,963
  • 2,392 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 11:46 AM

...Here is the obverse and reverse views of a post-WW1 medal that I do not know which town or state issued it or whatever it was called?

War_Relief_Medal.jpg

#24 Mark M

Mark M
  • Members
    • Member ID: 569
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 03:19 PM

Forum members:

You are in the MEDALS & DECORATIONS "Reference Section". This area is where posts from the general Medals & Decorations "discussion section" (http://www.usmilitar.....?showforum=83) are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the various U.S. medals and military decorations.

As time moves forward, some of these posts may have additional information added to them by the moderators of this section. We ask for your input as well, especially in the correction of any erroneous information that may have inadvertently be posted..

We encourage further comments about this post and its content. In order to do so, you will need to start a new post in the general Medals & Decorations "discussion section" (here: http://www.usmilitar.....?showforum=83). And, as needed, we will be pleased to move any new and / or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference area as its own standing post.

Please be advised: posting and / or editing is restricted on this post to moderator's and forum staff.

Sincerely,
Chris / ADMIN

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users