Tank destroyer grouping including european souvenirs

Fratlanta

Group its super! Sent you a message regarding the binoculars.

Thanks!

Would love the binoculars myself, but agree it's nice to keep the grouping together.....Bodes

• 2 months later...

I think you will find that you did considerably better than you might believe. The three sabers with black scabbard are Third Reich era. In the three, you are probably looking at approximately $800. The binoculars are complete, and much in demand--another $150. - $200. The TD grouping is certainly an added bonus to your purchase. My values on TR items are probably a bit low as I've been out of this area for the past 15 years.

I guess i did good indeed..... paid $35 for everything

This is a great group no doubt, but I hear guys say all the time "keep it all together...it came that way". Well that is true, but those swords and binocs as nice as they are have absolutely nothing to do with that TD group. That's just me and I know I'll get bombed by saying this, but it's the truth. The vast majority of US collectors couldn't give a furry rats butt about that German stuff and vise - versa. On another note, although I no longer actively seek TR stuff that set of binocs is freakin' KILLER!! Congrats on a great find, Alex

They absolutely DO have something to do with the group. Definitely keep it together.

Stunning find and honestly I think you should have gave them more than $35 but what do I know?

You had to know it was worth well more than that?

-Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They absolutely DO have something to do with the group. Definitely keep it together.

Stunning find and honestly I think you should have gave them more than $35 but what do I know?

You had to know it was worth well more than that?

-Brian

If they only asked $35, that's what the buyer is required to pay to become the new owner. If sellers want more, they should take the time and do the appropriate research and ASK more.

I've picked up $1,000+ items at estate sales for under $100. It happens, and you enjoy it when it does!

There is no need to make this thread a discussion about the morals of buying/selling/trading/finding militaria related items.

This grouping was an excellent find and one of those rare times in life when great items are found at an incredible price. Finds like this don't happen very often, so enjoy it!!!!

Honestly you have no idea if that's what was asked or offered. This is the reason we are seen as seedy, shady, underhanded people ripping items from families for pennies on the dollar.

Even if that's what was asked I personally would have given more money.

If it was your great grandma sitting at a garage/estate sale and she said $35 for the stuff because she was ignorant about it does that make it ethical?

I'm not saying that a full retail price should have been paid but at least something close to fair.

Thanks,

-Brian

Honestly you have no idea if that's what was asked or offered. This is the reason we are seen as seedy, shady, underhanded people ripping items from families for pennies on the dollar.

Even if that's what was asked I personally would have given more money.

If it was your great grandma sitting at a garage/estate sale and she said $35 for the stuff because she was ignorant about it does that make it ethical?

I'm not saying that a full retail price should have been paid but at least something close to fair.

Keep in mind that you honestly have no idea how the sale was conducted. Also, collectors are sometimes seen as "seedy, shady, underhanded people" for a variety of reasons OUTSIDE of scoring amazing deals at estate sales.

It's great that you'd have paid more for the grouping, and it's great that you have the disposable income that allows you to be generous with your purchasing (I'm not being sarcastic here, I actually mean that). If my family was selling stuff too cheap at an estate/garage sale, I sure wouldn't blame the customers for buying or question their ethics/morality.

Great find!!! I love seeing TD items, I never get tired of see any relating to Tank destroyer units. My heart started to skip a beat when I read 661st, my grandfather served with the 644th.

Marty

Typically an estate sale will be conducted by an auction house or estate liquidator. They will consult with the family prior to the sale, establish the pricing and run the event. Sometimes estate liquidators will also combine property from other estates, and this isn't always apparent to the customers. In my view, the family(s) are paying the liquidator to get a fair price for the objects in question. Sometimes they are lazy or miss something. IMO that is between the family and the liquidator. I've been to a number of these sales, and asking to pay MORE than the stated price just isn't the way it works. As I said before, you sometimes don't know for sure whose estate the stuff came from, and often the family isn't present at the sale. In a true estate sale setting, if $35 was the asking price for this stuff, that is exactly what I would pay. Now, if the vet or his family live down the street from you and offer to sell something face to face, that is a different story....

Maybe where you live. I wouldn't say 'typically'. Here half the estate sales are ran by the family and are like a garage sale.

Basically are a garage sale.

You're right if it was a company. The price is the price in that case.

Sorry it just boils my blood a little bit knowing how many people have been ripped off by military collectors 'in the know' about items' pricing. I'm not saying retail should be paid but anyone can know that $35 is a ridiculous price. Even $300 would be more fair to the family and still a steal.

You guys are right that I don't know the situation. I just want to put it out there that it's not really a bragging right to have ripped someone off.

The grouping is great as stated and not trying to take away from that. But look what's happening with Purple Heart medals today and you can see where I'm going with this.

-Brian

I've heard an instance or two over the years where the collector attempts to offer an amount far above what the seller thought it was worth and upon hearing that, the seller suddenly gets a case of "Antique Roadshow-itis" and backs out of the sale thinking the stuff must be really good and they should get it appraised prior to selling.

It all depends on the exact circumstances of the deal (which none of us other than the original poster know). I've bought stuff for pennies on the dollar and ran away happy (from some garage sale picker commando who was selling his finds at a flea market). I've also told the seller the item was worth more than they were asking and increased the price (vet's nephew answered my ad and was asking $100 for an antique Japanese sword).

You're right Kurt I'm making assumptions which I shouldn't.

I just figure no estate sale company is going to sell this stuff for only $35... they aren't THAT stupid.

-Brian

You're right Kurt I'm making assumptions which I shouldn't.

I just figure no estate sale company is going to sell this stuff for only $35... they aren't THAT stupid.

-Brian

Again, you are making assumptions. Estate sale companies are fully capable being EXACTLY that stupid. If I was the original author of this thread, I'd keep tabs on the estate sale company that sold this stuff, and visit EVERY single one of their sales. They obviously have a massive hole in their knowledge about militaria values.

As I stated earlier, I've purchased items worth $1,000+ for well under $100 at estate sales run by a professional crew, who even took these SAME items to an "expert" for a more detailed appraisal/valuation prior to the sale.

However, this is very rare, and typically the lack of knowledge goes the other way and results in a crazy HIGH price (like $500 for a stripped Ike jacket or something similar).

Again, you are making assumptions. Estate sale companies are fully capable being EXACTLY that stupid. If I was the original author of this thread, I'd keep tabs on the estate sale company that sold this stuff, and visit EVERY single one of their sales. They obviously have a massive hole in their knowledge about militaria values.

As I stated earlier, I've purchased items worth $1,000+ for well under $100 at estate sales run by a professional crew, who even took these SAME items to an "expert" for a more detailed appraisal/valuation prior to the sale.

However, this is very rare, and typically the lack of knowledge goes the other way and results in a crazy HIGH price (like $500 for a stripped Ike jacket or something similar).

I definitely agree. Estate sale companies are very capable of devaluing their items and also overvaluing them as well. I picked up a named 147th FAB (attached to the 158th Inf Reg Bushmasters) ike jacket with two shirts for $50 BIN plus shipping on ebay. If you know that patch is very rare. The simply had it listed as US Army uniform, some estate companies will not do their homework.

FYI: sale was conducted by professionals (had to pay sale taxes)

I did not negotiate anything and paid the asking price

Well hopefully the family is rightfully pissed at the company as they obviously have no clue what they are doing.

congrats on the find! I didn't mean to try to drag you through the mud, but too many times I hear people brag about offering a stupid low price.

and you're right Longbranch.. better follow this company around since they are in the business of ripping off their customers! I take the comment back that the company couldn't be that stupid. They obviously are!

-Brian

Nah... don't be TOO hard on the estate sale company in this case (ok... maybe be a little hard on them...).

It's impossible to know everything, and most estate sale companies are generalists more accustomed to selling furniture, housewares, jewelry, and other typical household stuff. Also, there's a very good chance this estate sale company has in depth knowledge in something else like fine art pottery or antique rugs/tapestries that most military collectors would know NOTHING about. So, they may lose out on money in one area, and make up for it elsewhere.

Some estates have so much stuff, it would be literally impossible to look everything up and double check the values. Consequently, the estate sale company gives it their best guess at pricing time. Sometimes, those guesses are wrong ;-)

Keep in mind that estate sale companies are in a bit of a tight spot... if they price stuff too low, they'll get lots of buyers but may have an unhappy client. If they price stuff to high, they'll get no buyers and still have an unhappy client. That happy middle ground is a challenging place to be!

• 6 years later...