Virginia Militia 1st Lieutenant Commision Paper (1846)

How rare are originals of these commissions? I just received this from my Mother a few week back. I have only been able to find an 1880 census of him. He was my Great-Great Grandfather and I had never heard of him before. Any ideas on where to look? Thanks!

post-151977-0-09050000-1479938059_thumb.jpg

Any southern pre-Civil War militia material is pretty scarce and a good item. You will have some work ahead of you building up file on your ancestor, but it will be worth it. For general genealogical information you should probably try ancestry dot com and for military service try fold3.

For what its worth, a cursory check shows a William A. Jackson as a 2nd Lt in the 111th VA miliitia in 1861. His company became part of the 9th Va. Cavalry and then the 15th VA Battalion of cavalry, which in turn became the 15th regiment of cavalry. I see him in the 9th Va cavalry and fold3 lists 16 pages of documents in his file, but only 3 show up. (The error may simply be a computer glitch-- counting pages in other soldiers's subsequent files as being in his.)

He was supposedly age 36 in 1862.

Steve, thanks for your help. I think that I will have to join those two genealogy sites and start looking. Thanks again.

P.S. The age is right for the soldier you describe.