NOVEMBER 22, 1963 - THE SHOT HEARD ROUND THE WORLD

chris3bs

THIS MAY HAVE BEEN POSTED - BUT TODAY IS THE DAY PRESIDENT JOHN FITZGERALD KENNEDY WAS SHOT AND DIED IN DALLAS. I DON'T REMEMBER MUCH OF ANYTHING BEING THREE YEARS OLD. WITH PRESIDENT KENNEDY BEING IN THE MILITARY DURING WW2 WE WERE FORTUNATE TO HAVE HIM BEING ABLE TO LIVE THROUGH THE WAR AND BECOME A LEADER IN WHICH IMO WAS NEEDED DURING THE TIMES WE HAD PROBLEMS DURING THE NUCLEAR AGE. RIP..

Within minutes of the news being broadcast of his shooting, the event marked the beginning of the most significant four days in my life. In a matter of a few hours I was told to report to the State Department for assignment. That evening my wife and I stood on the bank adjoining Suitland Parkway, and observed the gray Navy ambulance taking his casket, his wife, and Bobby Kennedy to Bethesda Naval Hospital. early the next day I was assigned as bodyguard to Price Phillip and Prime Minister Sir Lord Douglas Hume, who were to arrive at Dullas Airport later that evening. My after-action report runs ten pages,, so I won't dwell on this further other than to say it was a time in history that I shall never forget. We lost a President that day that had made an impact worldwide. Jack