USMC Navajo Code Talker

Eric Queen

I am not a US collector per se, but do like all types of portrait photographs. I recently picked this up at a local show. It was in a (non period) replacement frame when I got it so I took it out of the frame when I got it home to see if anything was on the back. I found that PFC R.D.YAZZIE was written on the back. I did some looking around and found that there was a Marine Code Talker with the 4th Marine Division named Raphael D. Yazzie.

yazzie.jpg

After digging around on the internet some more, I found this photo of the Code Talker Raphael Yazzie at a 2001 ceremony/reunion. It certainly looked like the same guy to me (on the right).

R_D_Yazzie.jpg

Based on this, I made a quality color copy of the image and sent it to the head of the Navajo Code Talkers Association (Mr.Keith Little) who turns out was a friend of Mr.Yazzie. He confirmed that, without a doubt, the man in my photo was the Raphael Yazzie that he knew. Unfortunately Mr.Yazzie passed away on April 3, 2005.

It would have been great to have been able to talk with him.

After looking around some more, I found out that Mr.Yazzie did an interview with the University of Utah in 1971 as part of the Doris Duke American Indian History Project. I was able to get the transcripts from that interview.

RDY_1.jpg

Here is some more. Very interesting. He talks about joining the Corps with others from his tribe, code talker training at Camp Pendleton, Siapan, Iwo Jima, getting out, etc. They (University of Utah) are also sending me a CD made from the tape of the interview.

Just neat how an old photo you find at a show can come to life.

RDY_2.jpg

that is a nice find, epically being able to find out some more information about the person, i am not much of a picture collector, but i do like reading when people find photos and do research about the person and their experiences. im sure it would have been wonderful to actually talk to Mr. Yazzie. when the university sends the CD, keep us posted and let us know about his experiences. thanks!

Nice photo and great research!

Just as a sidenote, Ben Yazzie was one of the lead charecters in John Woo's "WINDTALKERS".

I knew i heard that name from somewhere else. and i just saw that movie a few days ago too...

Indeed. A very common name. There were 21 code talkers with the last name Yazzie, but no one with the first name Ben (and only one Raphael or R.D)

EQ

Let me tell you one thing, that is a very rare photograph. My wife and children are Navajos and I lived on the Navajo Reservation for about 3 years. I hit EVERY flea market in that area that I could find and found very little militaria for sale. I was able to find a few modern items (read that to mean three items in total). I don't know if they just don't keep their stuff when they get out or if they hold onto it. Whatever the case, they are proud of their soldiers.

I have met several of the Code Talkers personally and felt it a great honor to have met these heroes. Somewhere I have some pictures I took of them in a parade in Crown Point , New Mexico and me with several of them. I will try to dig them out, but I'm not 100% sure where they are.

That being said, if you ever have a chance to stop by Kayenta, Arizona. Make sure you get a meal at the local Burger King. They have a wonderful small display of Navajo Code Talker items. They are behind glass or plexiglass windows so no one can deface the items or run off with them. Really worth a stop by if you have time.

Arch

This just came in the mail today. Very cool. I was surprised by the quality of the audio. Still amazed that the guy in the photo I found laying around at a local show is now talking to me.

Does anyone else have anything from these guys that they can post? I have done a search both here and at WAF and came up empty. Just how rare is this stuff (if at all)?

Thanks

Eric

RDY_3.jpg

Like I said in my post above, Code Talker items are RARE beyond belief. I lived on the Navajo Reservation for 3 years and had daily contact with the people. Believe me, there were plenty of WW2 aged vets, but I never found any WW2 items for sale or anything. The Navajo people are extremely proud of their military service and men/women who served in the Armed Forces are held in high regard. In all my time there, I never found more than a few items for sale and the items I bought were more modern. You should be very pleased with your find.

Arch

p.s. On the CD, does Mr. Yazzie tell his clans? If so, would you please post them so I can ask my wife about them.

Thanks Arch.

Here are the clans:

Kinlichiinii (red house) and Tachinii (red running in the water people)

Nice photo and great research!

Just as a sidenote, Ben Yazzie was one of the lead charecters in John Woo's "WINDTALKERS".

Hah! I was going to mention the movie if you didn't, Beast my friend. :) I just watched it a week ago and found it to be quite good, even though people don't like it.

- Jeff

101combatvet

Interesting I don't recall seeing many color portrait from that period. Red Rock.....huh.... spent a few beer drinking forays in Tucson.

Lets not forget the Comanche code talkers in Europe during WWII ( my wifes tribe )and the Choctaw code talkers from WWI. The USG has USED Indians in all of their wars with LITTLE RECOGNITION.

It is good that the Navajoes have been recognized.

Steve Ray

Hey Guys,

Didn't I read somewhere that Cherokee code talkers participated in Europe as well? If you know of a solid source for this info please let me know.

But, back to the photo--great research and thanks for sharing the story as your discoveries unfold. This is why I LOVE this forum.

Cheers,

Fielding

Awesome. Thanks for taking the time to send this. How cool is that for the Burger King to preserve this part of our history? The owner should be thanked.

Cheers,

Fielding

Don't forget that a lot of Navajos served in the US Army and Navy during WWII. Not all Navajo veterans from WWII were codetalkers. The Navajo Nation is the largest of the Native American Nations and militay training was a common feature of many of the off reservation schools that Navajos and other Natives were sent prior to WWII. My wife's Grandfather served with 11th Airborne Division and another Grandfather served with the 1st Cavalry Division. They are very proud of their service, but like many veterans don't really talk about their service. I noticed that the Marine Corps has done a very good job recruiting on the reservation in recent years. In the modern USMC, you see a lot of Yazzies and Begays.

That being said, if you ever have a chance to stop by Kayenta, Arizona. Make sure you get a meal at the local Burger King. They have a wonderful small display of Navajo Code Talker items. They are behind glass or plexiglass windows so no one can deface the items or run off with them. Really worth a stop by if you have time.

Arch

Oddly enough I was there last week. It's a decent display Code Talker wise but a lot of the stuff on display is just plain wrong. One helmet had a Vietnam liner and a plaque for a Japanese flare pistol said that the Japanese were the only military with a doubled barreled flare pistol. So why did I have one in my car that wasn't Japanese? :unsure: (I was moving is the real reason!) There was some really nice stuff along with the questionable, though.