Unusual Air Crew Wing in POW Group? HELP!

bobgee

Acquired a very neat P.O.W. group to a 32nd B.S., 301st B.G. 15th AF enlisted B-17 Bombardier shot down near Munich on 12 September 1944. He ended up in Stalag Luft I at Barth, Germany. Group has a lot of stuff. My curiosity is raised by this unusual looking Air Crew wing. It appears to be hand crafted but not like the usual P.O.W. productions made from lead. This one is solid heavier metal. Lots of file marks on edges and reverse. Never had pins but has a loop in the center which has a wire going through it suggesting at first glance that the center Air Crew device may be separately applied but it is not on this wing. It's solid. The feather detail is excellent and some resembles a Brit-made wing. I'm puzzled as to it's origin. Was it made in Stalag Luft I or perhaps an Italiam-made piece. Pics are from my scanner and have included his U.S. dog tag with half of his Kriegie tag, Number 5656 attached. I also got an A.E. Co p/b Bombardier wing and a p/b sterling gunner's wing, both of U.S. origin. Any and all comments and opinions welcome. Thanks for looking. Bobgee

BOLCH POW TAG WING GRP.jpg

BOLCH POW WING OBV.jpg

BOLCH POW WING REV.jpg

Bob

Are they lead? Looks like they may be lead cast POW wings cast from an English style wing. Some of the POW cast lead wings have real decent detail.

Kurt

Kurt - Thanks for the roster. He got his Purple Heart on May 21 at APO 871, 7th General Hospital right before he shipped out for home.

Re: the wing. It's not the typical lead type associated with POW-made pieces. It's heavier metal, almost looks struck but crude. Lots of filing on edges and reverse, no pins installed ever just that wire loop. ??????

The group has two YMCA Blue covered books; one filled with story and prose and many names and addresses. The other has very neatly drawn maps of Luft I, it's geography of Barth and the compound he was in. Unusual. Best is the diary of 26 handwritten pages, 2-sided, on scrap paper and the reverse of cigarette packs, enclosed in metal hinged covered covers made from KLIM cans! Hard to read but starts with "My Life in Germany" starting with his shoot-down through his release.

Also has his officially named Air Meda,cased,l as presented to his mother while he was in captivity, backed up by 2 original news clippings about the award of the medal to her. Also cased unnamed PH. And more. Great group. I'll try to get some better camera pics of the wing when I can. Again, thanks! Bob

Hi Bob

Some of those wings were made out of the Tin they used for the gutters too. Its lighter in color and harder too. The wire loop doesnt surprise me. They were very creative on how they made them.

Kurt

• 3 weeks later...