GEMSCO SER #220. 5-STAR GENERAL COLLAR INSIGNIA. ERA?

Jennings Lane

Jennings Lane

GEMSCO SER #220. 5-STAR GENERAL COLLAR INSIGNIA. ERA?

Is this genuine? What era? Store stock insignia? Any thoughts?

Thanks

Andy

post-154922-0-50252800-1479565610_thumb.jpg

post-154922-0-49980000-1479565639_thumb.jpg

There is an article on the Internet (http://military-historians.org/company/journal/five-star/fivestar.htm) describing with photographs different versions of original 5 star rank insignia. The last one is post war like your piece that is attributed to General Omar Bradley who did not achieve this rank until after WW2 on September 20, 1950. The one in the mentioned article is hallmarked "SILVER FILLED 220". I don't know how long after the war did the other 5 star generals and fleet admirals stay in the service but if anyone wore this it was probably General Omar Bradley. I believe you have the real McCoy and not one of those law enforcement type 5 star rank insignia. Great find!

Hello

All of the rank insignia in the link ( except the first one ) have a pentagon device where the stars are fixed on.

Michael

I thought the rounded top style stars were Navy/USMC, did the army use this style as well?

Agreed, that usually indicates USN/USMC 1940s-1950s (though the USMC wouldn't apply in this case of course). Interesting insignia for sure!

Justin B.

• 4 years later...

This may be a virtually closed thread by this time, however I thought I would include my example all the same. I have owned it for over 40 years, now, picking it up from a Melbourne, Australia, dealer who used to regularly travel to London for some of his stock...(8{

IMG_20210103_195420_763.jpg

IMG_20210103_195622_564.jpg