USMC AERIAL TURRET GUNNER GROUPING

MCDUFF

I am pleased to share details of a small Marine Corps grouping which I am very lucky and proud to be the holder of.

It is from a Henry John Schmaltz (Harry) who was an armorer and aerial turret gunner in TBM Avengers.

He was with VMSB 943 at Guam and VMTB 131 at Ie Shima/ Okinawa.

He was in service from June 25th 1943. He was a dairy farmhand prior to joining, and made a career from the Marines, leaving in January 1966.

He fought at Guam, and then Okinawa. After the war he stayed with the Marines and with his skills became an Aircraft Mechanic, Maintenance Chief, Crew leader, and later a Jet Engineering Mechanic at various locations Stateside.

Having served until 1966, only his basic records are available for public use.

My friend who sourced the grouping back in 2010, followed up on an advert for an old flying jacket. It wasn’t until he met with Harry, did he know the footlocker was available. Harry was surprised that anyone would be interested in it and its contents!

Included in the footlocker was his own Colt 45, complete with 3 clips with rounds and one in the chamber! When my friend asked him to unload it, he asked why, as “you never knew who you would meet on the drive home!!” Unfortunately, I couldn’t keep the pistol with the grouping.

I imagine he put the uniforms and various pieces of his personal effects away after the war and didn’t need them in service thereafter, as they were replaced by newer uniforms.

The loose ribbons show more GC stars and the National Defense Service medal for his service between 1950 and 1954.

The flight jacket is just post War issue being a G1 with USN stencilled in the collar. The dog tags are post WW2 also.

The clothing items are interesting. He said in the field they hated wearing insignia, and it was rarely used. They mainly wore chinos in the air, although there is a flying suit in the footlocker.

VMTB 131 had an unofficial patch of a devil riding an aerial torpedo, designed by Major Alvin J Clark but was never adopted.

There are 2 wartime holsters; hip and shoulder. The hip holster has been modified by him to fit with his flying clothing and equipment. An interesting modification, which was common with aviators of course.

He has personalised his K-Bar sheath, which is great to see!

I have since received his service records from Geoff at Golden Arrow. I enclose a couple of sheets.

Unfortunately, I have no news of Harry in recent Years. I do hope he is alive and well.

Thanks for looking..

post-20528-0-97001500-1479321024.jpgpost-20528-0-76322300-1479321052.jpgpost-20528-0-03968700-1479321073.jpg

Wow, that is a pretty awesome Marine grouping!! It is too bad that actual patches were not produced for this squadron, it would be a smoker if done.

Thank you for sharing,

pat

MCDUFF,

Congratulations on a great grouping. Would it be possible to post a photo of the front of his flight suit? Thanks!

Regards, Paul

Hi Paul, thanks for the complement. I hope this photo is clear enough? Looks like he did some painting in them!

Cheers, Graham

post-20528-0-65483400-1479335702.jpg

• 2 years later...

Hi,

Im Jim Schmaltz, Henry's Nephew.

Henry passed away this past July at 94 years old.

Over Christmas we were discussing his service. My nephew, who is currently a LT. in the USMC, googled him and came up with this post.

This is a great to see, let me know if you have any more information on him. Also let me know if you would be interested in selling any the collection.

I would love to be able bring some of back into the family. I would also be interested in his 1911, do you have any information on where it may have ended up?

Thanks again for posting this, it was great to see it.

Jim

For a collector of USMC material, it doesn't get much better than this! Seems as if you now have a quandry on your hands. Happy New Year! Jack

Hello Jim, nice to hear from you.

I am sorry to hear of Henry's passing. My sincere condolences to you and your family.

We, in the collecting field treasure these artefacts to keep the memory alive of what these brave men and women did for us. I am pleased you have seen the post.

If you PM me and let me know your email address, I will send on the service records. The file is too big to post here.

I moved house last year, and consequently passed this collection to a fellow collector. I just did not have the space to store and display it, as it should. I have passed your details to the new owner.

I do not know what happened to the Colt 45. I only know it was sold on to a gun dealer in the States.

My best to you. Regards Graham

Thanks for the update.

Ill PM my info to you. It may take a bit, Im new to the forum and it looks like I don't have permission to do that yet. Ill reach out to the admins to help. It just may be that I don't know how to do it. It may work if you PM me then I can reply with my info. Either way Ill get it over to you.

Thanks Again

Jim

teufelhunde.ret

Great swing with wing group, keep it intact at all costs. These groups are only original once, you are the caretaker for our generation. God bless you.... s/f