1950-1953 Cold War Era Army & Navy Surplus

hhbooker2

"Greetings & Salutations!" During the Korean War era (1950-1953) there were civilian Army & Navy surplus stores selling off Second World War equipment, uniforms, etc., presented here are assorted catalogue from various sellers, you may not remember when military surplus was "made in the U.S.A." for the U.S. Armed Forces and not contracted stuff from foreign sources overseas. Please feel free to add your thoughts and your scans to this treasure trove of yore! :rolleyes: Sarge Booker of Tujunga, California ([email protected]) :rolleyes:

post-837-1222791558.jpg

:unsure: More pages of goodies! Wouldn't it be nice if you could buy these things even at today's prices? I bought over time several of those United States Navy issue pea-coats as well as herring-bone field trousers with side cargo pockets. :unsure:

post-837-1222792000.jpg

post-837-1222792039.jpg

Wow!!! I rember some of these ads, from the early '50s. How about that Springfield trap door carbine for $2.95???!! :blink:

CAPTAIN CAVALARY: Yes, when I was young we received such catalogues in the mail from the Army & Navy Surplus stores and were regular customers and my sister and I had army back packs to tote our textbooks to and from school and wore Navy dungree trousers, army herring-bone cargo side pocket trousers, double buckle combat boots, etc. Yes, those were Civil War surplus, perhaps there was American Revolutionary War surplus and for the War of 1812 too? Someone I know bought a Springfield trap-door carbine for under US$25.00 in 1958 as there was no great demand for them and I'd go and see boxes full of army chevrons for 1872 to 1918 selling cheaply, especially 1902 chevrons! At the scrapyard they had loads of old metal ammunition boxes that busdrivers used to carry change as well as bus transfers, etc. Sportsmen use them for bair boxes as well. Bannerman had more than anyone else, Gil Sanow mentioned something to me about them back in 1968 I believe? Said he picked up three caps that included a kepi, pillbox, and 1902 bell crown as I recall? I could be wrong? Kaufman's Surplus on 42nd Street near Times Square is where I shopped for boots, shoes, work clothes, etc. I was in New York City in 1958! ermm.gif Sarge Booker ([email protected])

post-837-1222898670.jpg

post-837-1222898810.jpg

post-837-1222898936.jpg

I remember those surplus stores. Even small towns sometimes had them.

When I was a Cub Scout and later a Boy Scout back in the 50's, all our camping gear, field gear and color guard gear came straight from Army/Navy stores. It was everywhere and reasonably cheap. My Dad and I had a lot of camping gear of our own back then and every bit was out of surplus stores and none was foreign made. Heck we couldn't even concieve the idea that neat stuff like that could be made in some place like Tiawan.

I have an old re-print of the 1927 Bannermans catalog, and looking at the surplus and especially the prices will bring tears to your eyes! Yep, too bad all us collectors don't have a time machine to go back & get some of this neat stuff! crying.gif

Growing up in the Army of the 1950s; we can say military pay was rather......... ummmmm........ pi** poor. Because money was a rather scarce commodity, there weren't many toys floating around the old housing areas. BUT!!!!! Our dads made up for lack of $$$$/real toys by bringing home THE most wonderous substitutes....... parts off Honest Johns, 90mm tank rounds, pup tents, real SF berets from Bad Tolz...... you name it. I look at what forum members pay for that stuff today and REALLY wish I had a time machine. BTW - I once read in the Army Times, stating THE best equipped army in the world (in the 1950s) could be found on any playground in any US Army housing area. ^_^