• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#76 ArtyScout

ArtyScout
  • Members
    • Member ID: 156,853
  • 460 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:58 AM

I wasn't referring to helmets (I didn't even notice any were on backwards), I was referring to Marines facing the opposite direction from the direction of the enemy, watching the backs of the other Marines.

A gaggle like that is expected when fighting in a city, but it's real easy to get behind someone in a town like that, so good Marines would have someone facing the other direction just in case.

Oh OK yeah I get it, especially since I did it in my previous diorama "Hue". I didn't think I needed it with this being a street scene and the Marines now know where the enemy fire is coming from. But again thanks for the critique.

Semper Fi.

Manny

#77 doyler

doyler
  • Members
    • Member ID: 342
  • 29,553 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 01:58 PM

Manny

How do you make the slots and wrinkles in the helmet cover?

​are they molded or do you use a heated blade or pin to make then or layered material?

#78 patches

patches
  • Members
    • Member ID: 34,986
  • 18,901 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 07:40 PM

phpi9OZ6WPM.jpg

Here's this well known foto of one of them in Hue firing the 60 from the shoulder, note he does not rest the barrel nor the bipod on the wall. Rightly so, doing it this way was a bit inaccurate, I had to do it a few times at the range when I was a MG gunner at Hood, my problem was the heat generated, it got way too hot after bit.

Indeed there's a foto of a GI in Vietnam, 25th Div? (got in one of my books) firing from the hip, and he's wearing the asbestos mitten while grasping the fore stock.

Air Force guys in 1988.

M60-Machine-Gun-Shouldered.jpg

#79 iron bender

iron bender
  • Members
    • Member ID: 166,807
  • 209 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 07:59 PM

If you've got the beef and heft to fire a belt fed firearm from the shoulder it's absolutely an option. Awesome dio Manny. Makes me want to watch FMJ again!

Edited by iron bender, 15 August 2017 - 08:02 PM.

#80 ArtyScout

ArtyScout
  • Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 09:16 AM

Hey Doyler;

No I don't make the slots and wrinkles on the helmets. Eventhough they're 1:35 scale these helmets are small. I was just not happy with the helmets details that came with the kits from Dragon. The figures are very good but I wanted more detail with certain parts of their equipment, especially their helmets. So if you check out Bravo6 website you'll see the helmets, boonie hats etc that helped me shape this diorama. Really it's all in the paint job that brings out the realism of the helmets and the figures.

I hope this helps. Keep building.

Semper Fi.

Manny

#81 BILL THE PATCH

BILL THE PATCH
  • Members
    • Member ID: 11,207
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 09:23 AM

Museum quality for sure!, You are very talented. Can't wait to see the next one

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

#82 ArtyScout

ArtyScout
  • Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 09:29 AM

HI,

Ironbender and Bill; thanks for the comments.

Semper Fi.

Manny

#83 willysmb44

willysmb44
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,617
  • 3,933 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 01:52 PM

I fired an M-60 with blanks and live ammo a few times when I was a ROTC cadet in the late 90s, and shouldering it like a rifle always caused some people's jaws to hit the ground. I never thought anything was odd about that as I'd picked up and shot BARs and M1919s similarly in re-enactments a few years before that. It just seemed natural when you didn't have the time to lay down and set it up on the bipod to shoot at something.
Only once I was getting ready to be done with ROTC Advanced Camp before my senior year in college, did a couple of fellow cadets tell me how impressed they were with my using the M-60 like a rifle. I never thought they were all that heavy except after a few miles of a road march...

No I don't make the slots and wrinkles on the helmets. Eventhough they're 1:35 scale these helmets are small. I was just not happy with the helmets details that came with the kits from Dragon. The figures are very good but I wanted more detail with certain parts of their equipment, especially their helmets. So if you check out Bravo6 website you'll see the helmets, boonie hats etc that helped me shape this diorama. Really it's all in the paint job that brings out the realism of the helmets and the figures.

Whatever you paid, I think it was worth it for the results.

#84 ArtyScout

ArtyScout
  • Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 11:49 PM

Hey Willie,

Nice story regarding ROTC. I was always impressed if anyone can fire the M-60 from their shoulder, but also had to keep it on target. I always felt like "the pig" got a bad rap. It is a very good MG and it can put the rounds downrange effectively.

Lars; per your request here is a "drone like picture" of my diorama. I hope everyone likes it.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Attached Images

• resized_DSCF0414.JPG

#85 MECHINF-A15

MECHINF-A15
  • Members
    • Member ID: 169,074
  • 164 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 02:43 PM

Manny,

Outstanding diorama! I am very impressed with your skills. This work reminds me of a co-worker I knew back in the mid 1970s who was a USMC veteran and had fought at Hue in 68. He was a crewman on an M50 ONTOS and I learned a lot about what a great little vehicle it was and it's awesome firepower from this guy. One story he told me and your diorama inspires me to build that incident. Thank you very much for sharing your excellent work with us.

Best regards,

Mike

#86 Proud Kraut

Proud Kraut

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 2,052
  • 4,823 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 09:03 PM

Manny, thanks for posting this additional picture! Once again, I like your "dynamic" battle scene very very much, you did a fantastic job!

Lars

#87 ArtyScout

ArtyScout
  • Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 04:24 PM

Manny,

Outstanding diorama! I am very impressed with your skills. This work reminds me of a co-worker I knew back in the mid 1970s who was a USMC veteran and had fought at Hue in 68. He was a crewman on an M50 ONTOS and I learned a lot about what a great little vehicle it was and it's awesome firepower from this guy. One story he told me and your diorama inspires me to build that incident. Thank you very much for sharing your excellent work with us.

Best regards,

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thank you for the comments. I'll be looking forward to seeing your diorama. Inspiration is a great motivator. I've never done the M50 Ontos and when I joined the Corps it had already been phased out. Also please give my regards to your friend and my 'Marine' brother. Tell him I said "Welcome Home!" and "Semper Fi.

Lar, I'm glad you like the extra overhead picture and thanks for the compliment.

Semper Fi.

Manny

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)