Combat Photographer-Hue, Vietnam

ArtyScout

Proud Kraut

Hey Manny, the photographer's watch misses the second hand! :D Great figure, can't wait to see the whole dio!

Lars

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone;

Well my last 2 protaganists are finished; literally. But as 'Willy' commented on a previous post; I went with "scary realism" again. All my figures will get some tweaking and weathering and some slings need to be added to rifles. Now I'll start on the groundwork and scenery. As always 'thank you' for looking and all comments and critiques are greatly appreciated. BTW for my next project I think I'm going to hit the skies again.

Semper Fi.

Manny

post-156853-0-45982700-1492192130_thumb.jpg

post-156853-0-79508400-1492192142_thumb.jpg

post-156853-0-89056300-1492192154_thumb.jpg

If there's away you could do it, any chance to model those rifles with the bolts open and a loose mag lying around?

Think of the detail of someone getting popped while trying to reload.

Could be good to have a GI leaning over to either throw them out of reach or take with him...

Nice thought Willy. I do have some extra magazines that came with the kits. Maybe next time.

Semper Fi.

Manny

• 1 month later...

Hello All,

I know I haven't posted anything regarding this diorama, since the F4U Corsair. So here are a few pics of the building and other parts of my diorama. These are WIP pics. I gave them an acrylic wash but wasn't too impressed so I'm going with an oil wash. Any and all comments and critiques as always are greatly appreciated.

Semper Fi.

Manny

post-156853-0-29730100-1496797392_thumb.jpg

post-156853-0-20181600-1496797493_thumb.jpg

post-156853-0-24909700-1496797512_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks fellas. Sorry I haven't posted any other pics; I've been helping my grandson finish a 1/700 scale US Navy Destroyer: The USS Oldendorf. 1/700 scale has extremely small parts so I was doing most of the work and I've found that 1/350 is a lot more expensive when it comes to naval warships; unless they are Destroyers. Anyway I've been putting my diorama together so I expect to post WIP pics or just the finished product.

Semper Fi.

Manny

• 5 weeks later...

Well summertime is for being outside, but when I get to work, I have to really think things out. I have the diorama set up and have added foliage and debris. Since these photos have been taken I've weathered the walls, street and courtyard and have added some other things and I've started adding the figures. But first I just want to post the street scene just to give you a look at my idea of fun in "Hue". I hope you like them and as always all comments and critiques are greatly appreciated.

Semper Fi.

Manny

post-156853-0-17293900-1501615633_thumb.jpg

post-156853-0-13760700-1501615669_thumb.jpg

post-156853-0-24739200-1501615718_thumb.jpg

If you haven't already thought about it, you might want to put some of the normal debris on the ground about the time you're putting your finishing touches on this diorama. Things like empty magazines, lots of shell casings, even lose items here and there that soldiers from each side dropped or had shot away in the firefight.

Hello All;

Well I worked late last night and finally got my diorama done. I weathered what I was going to weather, added a VC flag, downed electric cables and put my figures in their respective action places. I like the way the action flows. It looks crowded but according to pics that I've seen sometimes the city action in Hue was crowded. I hope you like them and as always ALL comments and critiques are greatly appreciated. Who knows I might just tweak something here and there. For my next projects I'm going NW to Khe Sanh for one diorama and then I'll move forward in time to 1991 for another Desert Storm diorama and in between there might be some other pics that I might post.

Semper Fi.

Manny

post-156853-0-13414200-1502476722_thumb.jpg

post-156853-0-65157900-1502477047_thumb.jpg

post-156853-0-06233900-1502477073_thumb.jpg

That is awesome work! My only observation would be with all that lead flying around, there should be some bullet holes and splintered wood in the doors. But since my talent level will never reach yours, please don't take it as criticism.

Randy

Hey Randy,

I always put in my post regarding comments and 'critiques' that they're greatly appreciated. You're right I probably should put some bullet holes on the big doors. That's why I said that I might tweak things here and there.

Thank you very much for the suggestion.

Semper Fi.

Manny

That looks great Manny! Well done! The figures are great and I don't think it's too crowded at all. You really captured the action of the moment. That's a good piece of work.

Just three observations:

The M60 gunner in the door should probably just be peeking around that corner instead of standing in the open, now that the one Marine got hit and is being dragged.

Second, the rifleman behind the guy being dragged looks like his muzzle is pointed directly at the Marine who just got hit and is being dragged out of the line of fire. Maybe move him to a degree if that is the case.

Third, where's the rear-facing cover?

Great model work,I love it.

Hey Willie;

Thanks for the critique so let me explain: The M60 gunner is not peeking, he's supposed to be laying down cover fire while his brother Marine is being dragged out. 2nd: You are absolutely right about the muzzle of that rifleman. I guess it was just the way the photo was taken but I wanted him to be gazing beyond his fallen Marine brother looking for enemy combatants and 3rd: I've always seen pics of some leathernecks at Hue with the backward helmet. I always laughed and wondered how they ever got away with that, since the Marine Corps can be such sticklers for uniformity; (Believe me, the voice of experience.); even in combat. But when you're in a life or death combat situation even a young Lieutenant will just say "Well at least he's got his helmet on."

Again thanks for the critique. Anything to make my vision of my diorama better. There are times when a different pair of eyes see what you might've missed, so I appreciate it a lot.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Manny,

I just returned home and found your dio completed, very well done! Your figure painting skills are top-notch. I like the dynamic combat scene. Would you be so kind posting another photo for us? I really would like to see a top-down "drone" picture of the whole dio. Once again, a real eyecatcher, thanks for sharing!

Lars

I've always seen pics of some leathernecks at Hue with the backward helmet. I always laughed and wondered how they ever got away with that, since the Marine Corps can be such sticklers for uniformity; (Believe me, the voice of experience.); even in combat. But when you're in a life or death combat situation even a young Lieutenant will just say "Well at least he's got his helmet on."

I wasn't referring to helmets (I didn't even notice any were on backwards), I was referring to Marines facing the opposite direction from the direction of the enemy, watching the backs of the other Marines.

A gaggle like that is expected when fighting in a city, but it's real easy to get behind someone in a town like that, so good Marines would have someone facing the other direction just in case.