Combat Photographer-Hue, Vietnam

ArtyScout

Well when Lars (ProudKraut) asked what was next in the works, I said I'm going back to Hue. So I've started my project. Although it's a diorama of Hue during the Tet Offensive it is a tribute to the combat photographers and journalists that took the photos and filmed the action of the Marines and soldiers in country. I've started with these 2 M60 machine gunners. They still need the extra weathering and some minor tweaking, but its to give you a taste of what's coming. I hope you like them and as always all comments and critiques are welcome. BTW both of these figures are from Dragon. HAPPY 241ST BIRTHDAY UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS!

Semper Fi.

Manny

post-156853-0-34071200-1478798257_thumb.jpg

post-156853-0-09628700-1478798263_thumb.jpg

post-156853-0-00724600-1478798269_thumb.jpg

Don't forget Dale Dye :) Always loved the description of him found in Michael Herr's book "Dispatches" about Hue:

"And there was a Marine correspondent, Sergeant Dale Dye, who sat with a tall yellow flower sticking out of his helmet cover, a really outstanding target. He was rolling his eyes around and saying, ‘Oh yes, oh yes, Charlie’s got his shinola together here, this will be bad,” and smiling happily. It was the same smile I saw a week later when a sniper’s bullet tore up a wall two inches above his head, odd cause for amusement in anyone but a grunt."

Is the post accurate for the original photo? Shoulder-firing an M-60 isn't something most folks can do, due to their weight...

Hey Willy,

The M-60 wasn't that heavy, not like it's predecessor the .30cal Browning. Like I posted I will be tweaking these figures as I go along. Like adding slings, and the shoulder-firing Marine will probably be behind a wall. But thanks for your comments.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Is the post accurate for the original photo? Shoulder-firing an M-60 isn't something most folks can do, due to their weight...

In the original box art from Dragon, the 60 gunner is in a trench firing. Its from the Khe Sanh set.

In the original box art from Dragon, the 60 gunner is in a trench firing. Its from the Khe Sanh set.

Ah, that makes sense.

The last time I ever used M-60s, I was an ROTC cadet. Never saw them again as all the active duty units I was in, all had SAWs. But only myself and a couple of other guys could accurately shoot a 'Pig' from the shoulder, and even some of the the stocky guys had problems aiming that way.

Well here are the next two figures for my diorama. I can't believe the pictures came out a bit crappy. But I wanted to post them prior to Thanksgiving. Two things, though, one figure will have a radio telephone in his hand in the final presentation and, I didn't take a pic of it, but I added a shoulder strap to the figure firing the M60 from the hip. I hope you like them and as always all comments and critiques are greatly appreciated.

Semper Fi.

Manny

post-156853-0-38387000-1479919075_thumb.jpg

post-156853-0-56455100-1479919091_thumb.jpg

<p>...and one more for your viewing pleasure. Also they will be tweaked and weathered a little more before they're placed in the diorama.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Semper Fi.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Manny</p>

post-156853-0-47549600-1479919139_thumb.jpg

At end of qualification day with the M-60, we'd finish any remaining ammo in 'fun mode'. This meant various forms of full-auto fire, and as long as we didn't shoot the range markers, we were gtg. The 60 fires very comfortably from the shoulder. The description we had to recite at competitions spec'd the M-60 at 25.8 pounds - which is laughable to a 19-year-old. I just Googled it, and Wiki says it weighs 23.15#.

Either way, no problem. The M2 on the other hand...

Love the pose and sling on the one holding it the way most GIs would carry their M-16s!

At end of qualification day with the M-60, we'd finish any remaining ammo in 'fun mode'. This meant various forms of full-auto fire, and as long as we didn't shoot the range markers, we were gtg. The 60 fires very comfortably from the shoulder. The description we had to recite at competitions spec'd the M-60 at 25.8 pounds - which is laughable to a 19-year-old. I just Googled it, and Wiki says it weighs 23.15#.

Either way, no problem. The M2 on the other hand...

I know it's easy to do, but I only saw a handful of people who could shoot one from the shoulder. Frankly, I never understood why as I'm not a big musclebound guy but never had any problems.

As for the Ma Duce, I actually saw a SGT try to shoot one from the hip. Spun him like a top. Scared the [bleep] out of everyone nearby. :huh: The Article 15 for range safety violations came in before his brass all hit the ground. Hilarity did not ensue.

Good grief, that sounds dangerous. We did an FTX one time that required a flight. It took three of us to carry the M2. I had the receiver, one took the barrel, and one took the tripod. Big fun that was (not). I wouldn't dream of firing that thing not affixed to a tripod or vehicle ring. It's a beast.

Love the pose and sling on the one holding it the way most GIs would carry their M-16s!

I know it's easy to do, but I only saw a handful of people who could shoot one from the shoulder. Frankly, I never understood why as I'm not a big musclebound guy but never had any problems.

As for the Ma Duce, I actually saw a SGT try to shoot one from the hip. Spun him like a top. Scared the [bleep] out of everyone nearby. :huh: The Article 15 for range safety violations came in before his brass all hit the ground. Hilarity did not ensue.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all and Merry Christmas.

I love the holidays, but my hobby work does slow down during this time of the year. Posted for your approval are my next two protagonists in my next diorama. You can see that the Vietcong figure is plastic (Dragon) and the Marine is resin (Bravo6). I hope you like them and as always all comments and critiques are greatly appreciated.

Semper Fi.

Manny

post-156853-0-26889100-1481694525_thumb.jpg

post-156853-0-40199500-1481694542_thumb.jpg

post-156853-0-21916600-1481694558_thumb.jpg

post-156853-0-93230700-1481694576_thumb.jpg

Thanks fellas. I've already started on my next two figures. But the holidays are upon us so I'll get them done as soon as I can.

Semper Fi.

Manny

• 4 weeks later...

Hello fellas. Happy New Year's to all. Here are my next two figures for my diorama. The kneeling Marine is supposed to be carrying a PRC-77 radio in his rucksack. I WILL be adding an antenna and phone wire to a hand phone on a previous piece I posted. The standing Marine is another "grunt" in the Corps. I hope you like them and as always all comments and critiques are greatly appreciated.

Semper Fi.

Manny

post-156853-0-48468300-1484002200_thumb.jpg

post-156853-0-62755300-1484002211_thumb.jpg

post-156853-0-91343400-1484002221_thumb.jpg

Here's the kneeling Marine. Seems the resizing program didn't work well with his pics. Both figures will get further tweaking (i.e. rifle slings, weathering...etc.)

Semper Fi.

Manny

post-156853-0-62760700-1484002466_thumb.jpg

Hi Manny, to paint job, especially on the skin areas/faces!

Yep, it even has the 5 O'clock shadow. Great job, especially for something this small.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys;

I finally finished my next two figures. It was supposed to be 3 but for the first time in my modelling "career" I was disappointed with the resin from Bravo6. There figures are excellent but it seems I must've gotten a bad batch of resin since their rifles (M16A1) were extremely delicate. I've been working with resin for awhile now I found these weapons to be very flimsy, so flimsy that the kneeling figures M16 has a slight curve. Not Bravo6's best. I like the fact that they mold their figures with the hands attached to the rifles; which make it easier to put the figure together; but the rifles were so delicate that while handling it, it broke: TWICE. The next thing I knew the rifle with hand and figure were "...flying through the air with the greatest of ease." to the nearest wall. Anyway I hope you like these two, and as always all comments and critiques are greatly appreciated.

post-156853-0-55168400-1487100171_thumb.jpg

post-156853-0-64610600-1487100187_thumb.jpg

post-156853-0-95575300-1487100198_thumb.jpg

post-156853-0-19087800-1487100221_thumb.jpg