• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MattOravik

MattOravik
  • Members
    • Member ID: 137
  • 1,927 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 05:28 PM

I've been wondering this for a while. Is there a way to figure out what type of weapon my grandfather used in WWII? He qualified sharpshooter with a carbine and expert with a 'rifle' which I would assume was the M1 garand. He fought in the Pacific with the 6th infantry division and was in the New Guinea and Luzon campaigns. Would he have been able to choose or would he just get what was handed to him?

-Matt.

#2 101combatvet

101combatvet

BANNED

• Banned
    • Member ID: 1,494
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 05:32 PM

Usually, it went by MTO but some guys carried what they wanted.... or could find.... beg, barrow or steal.

I've been wondering this for a while. Is there a way to figure out what type of weapon my grandfather used in WWII? He qualified sharpshooter with a carbine and expert with a 'rifle' which I would assume was the M1 garand. He fought in the Pacific with the 6th infantry division and was in the New Guinea and Luzon campaigns. Would he have been able to choose or would he just get what was handed to him?

-Matt.

Edited by 101combatvet, 29 September 2008 - 05:34 PM.

#3 MattOravik

MattOravik
  • Members
  • 1,927 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 05:40 PM

I guess I should have mentioned he was a technical sergeant in the infantry.

-Matt.

#4 FightenIrish35

FightenIrish35
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,581
  • 3,447 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 05:45 PM

I would guess a standard M1 Garand. Or like was mentioned,anything that was left on the ground that he could carry and had ammo for.

#5 paul1440

paul1440
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,325
  • 142 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 04:14 AM

Need some more information. Do you know what regiment and company he was in? There would be hundreds of tech sergeants in an infantry division, according to the 26 Feb 44 TOEs there were 65 in an infantry regiment alone. If he was in a rifle company or a heavy weapons company according to the TOEs he would have been issued a carbine.

#6 MattOravik

MattOravik
  • Members
  • 1,927 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 12:20 PM

Yep, he was in the 20th infantry regiment, Company G.

-Matt.

#7 El Bibliotecario

El Bibliotecario
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,215
  • 912 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 03:14 PM

My sense is that troops in garrision and in training were restricted to those weapons specified by the TO & E, but once they entered a combat zone they were limited only by their ability to scrounge, trade, or steal. As an example, a deceased friend of mine told me he went into combat in Europe carrying an M1 rifle, but when he became the platoon RTO the weight of rifle plus radio (he was a small man) was such that he switched to an M1 carbine.

For anyone interested in how troops chose to arm themselves (as opposed to what weapons the War Department specified) I'd recommend LTC John George's SHOTS FIRED IN ANGER, also Howard Crouch's US SMALL ARMS OF WORLD WAR II. The former differs from the usual memoir in that the writer was a shooting enthusiast and discusses his extensive experience in the Pacific in terms of weapons used. The latter book includes interviews with several WW2 combat veterans who specifically comment on the weapons they used and saw used.

#8 paul1440

paul1440
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,325
  • 142 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 05:34 PM

Yep, he was in the 20th infantry regiment, Company G.

-Matt.

If I properly understand things G Co. of the 20th IR would be a rifle company. Check here for a rifle company TOE: http://www.militaryr...-17 26Feb44.pdf

As you can see a tech sgt would have been in charge of one of the rifle company's platoons, either one of the rifle platoons or the weapons platoon. If he was the weapons platoon sgt he would have been issued a carbine but he would have been issued a M1 Garand if he was a rifle platoon sgt. But like the others have said he would have used what he wanted or had available to him. If he wanted to use a carbine he would have used that, and the same goes with a Garand. It's not so cut and dried as the TOE leads one to believe.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users