1948 Willys question

Mustang

How much trouble is it to restore a 1948 Willys CJ2A to World War 2 configuration?If purchased I am not looking to be totally correct with it, just mainly outer appearance.All comments appreciated.

I would say that's a bit of a shame since early civilan jeeps in good condition are getting rarer and sought after, and it'll never be a real WW2 jeep. If you're going to restore anyway I'd advice you to look for an actual WW2 jeep, they are still around unrestored and based on the condition (and even more important: completeness) not that more expensive than a CJ.

There are enough significant differences between an early CJ and a WWII Jeep that it would not be in any way correct or even worthwhile

You would end up spending the same or just about the same money in restoration cost and wind up with a Jeep that nobody wants

If what you really want is a WWII Jeep, then save up or find and restore a WWII Jeep. The wait will be worth it

Tom Bowers

Had the same thought with a 46, and read the same advice. Do i right the first time all the time is the best advice in the world when it comes to building a car.

I bought a 1948 CJ2A back in 1991. Painted it OD and put stars on it. I didn't change anything else. 99% of the public don't know the difference and it actually opened a few doors and added many items to my collection.

Then in 2007 I bought a 1944 Willys. Restored it from the ground up. Even took 2nd place at the MVPA Convention for factory class. But I never drive it anywhere. If I want to go out in a Jeep, I take the '48.