US Submarine on Lifeguard Duty off Luzon Nov 25 1944

northcoastaero

northcoastaero

I am trying to find out the name(s) of the submarine(s) that were on station for lifeguard duty around Santa Cruz, Zambales on Luzon in

the Philippine Islands on November 25, 1944. The submarine(s) may have gone by the code name Mellow Moon. Also, may have

relieved the USS Cod (SS-224) and USS Ray (SS-271) around the middle of November? Any help would be appreciated. Thank-you.

According to US Naval Chronology, World War Two, Sub Hardhead sank Japanese Coast Defense Vessel # 38 West of Luzon and Atule sank Patrol Boat #38 in the Luzon Strait

on 25 November 1944.

Wharf

northcoastaero

Wharf,

Thank-you for the reply. I do appreciate this and will look into these two subs. Is there any mention for

subs on the 26th November 1944 in the same area?

From Submarine Operations in WWII - USS Pomfret sank Shoho Maru on Nov 25, 1944 in the Luzon Strait

The only actions I was able to find from Nov 26 in that area took place near Borneo.

• 2 weeks later...

Sub Besugo sank Japanese transport #151 in the south China Sea on Nov. 22 and the Gar landed men and supplies on the west coast of Luzon on 23 November.

No Sub action listed for the 24th.

Wharf

• 2 weeks later...
northcoastaero

Update: The submarine was on lifeguard duty in the Lingayen Gulf area on 25 November 1944. Any additional help to ID the sub would be appreciated. Thank-you.