Need Help ID'ing Shoulder Patch

mojoman58

I'm looking to help a friend of mine ID a shoulder patch from his deceased father's Navy uniform. He was a 2nd Class Petty Officer & a structural airframe mechanic on the S2F from June 1960 to July 1964. His father always said they were the "Ruptured Ducks" but searching for this name always finds the Honorable Discharge patches given to the soldiers. I've attached a photo of the patch in question. It's 4.5" x 5", embroidered cloth. It was taken off his working uniform by the funeral home to put into a display case. Thanks for any help.

post-164037-0-07234000-1477524922.jpg

I would think that it would be a school patch for a submarine hunting unit.

A great resource but it will take time would be to look through http://vpnavy.com/

I bet you some knowledgeable person may have an answer within the day. Welcome to the forum!!

Thanks very much for all the help ID'ing this patch. My friend will be excited when he sees the information. My only question is in the description given it says that in 1960 the unit became VT-27 and got a new insignia. My friends father was enlisted from 6/1960 to 7/1964. His patch has a different shape and the hat on the "Teacher" duck is a little different. Could that be the new insignia talked about?