WW1 US dog tag on a French 10 centimes coin

bellasilva

Another recent purchase. No history on this Sergeant unfortunately but it's a neat piece, and probably theater made. This coin was produced between 1852 and 1865

post-104906-0-02742000-1477416680_thumb.jpg

Are you sure that's US Phil? Serial number looks low for an NCO. Format looks right though. Hmm. Nice find regardless

Tag's serial number is correct for Battery E of the 12th Field Artillery (which is what appears to be on the tag).

Talk about a deal...!

It might be this guy, he's listed as being a Sgt in the 1920 census. http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=87200435

Cool! So yeah is this pre-WWI SN then? Why only 6 digits?

Serial numbers were not use prior to America's involvement in WWI. They started in 1918 with Serial Number 1 (issued to one Arthur B. Crane).

Serial numbers were not use prior to America's involvement in WWI. They started in 1918 with Serial Number 1 (issued to one Arthur B. Crane).

Ah ok. Thanks for the info!

Bellasilva,

Very nice and desireable tag!

I wonder if these were a field expedient method of creating dogtags for the first American troops that began arriving in France in 1917?

I have a set I picked up about 12 years ago. These were also made from a similar coin as yours was. The soldiers name is Luther Hahn, Company D, 16th Infantry. The set I show are in my 1st Division shadowbox and I backed them with red material to make them standout more in the display.

Kim

post-60-0-42126400-1477614280_thumb.jpg

post-60-0-43656500-1477614291_thumb.jpg

Thanks all for the input! Kim, that's a great looking tag you have. I actually looked at a tag on ebay yesterday to an Earl Hahn, I wonder if they were related. In either case, both tags look to have either been carried in a pocket for so long that the coin wore down, or intentionally worn down to accommodate the stamping. I just may have to look into ordering this man's file as well

• 9 months later...

Bringing up an old thread, I thought it may be of interest to some here that I did locate Sgt. Osborne on a WW1 transport list and he did indeed serve with Battery E of the 12th US Field Artillery, which was attached to the 2nd Division during the war and saw quite their share of action. Very cool that it is almost certainly a theater made piece

Thanks!! While looking at the 2nd Division's website I found their engagements, but I can't tell what the abbreviations are following Osborne's name. Any ideas?

Thanks!! While looking at the 2nd Division's website I found their engagements, but I can't tell what the abbreviations are following Osborne's name. Any ideas?

Silver Star Citation. Croix de Guerre with star.