Opinions on these WW2 Civilian Air Patrol Pilot Wings

TheMariner

Hello all, i recently picked these up and in hand i am not so sure if i like them or not! I am curious if you think they are original or possible restrikes! Thanks in advance! post-160496-0-16658900-1477363257.jpg

I gotta say I don't like them either at first look. But this type of "pebble" frosted-type surface WAS used in WWII (see some of the later NS Meyer wings). Also used on some of the LGB wings post war. Its not like there is a huge market for CAP wings.

Still, the front looks good, but I don't recall ever seeing this on a WWII vintage CAP wing with this type of back (not that that means much). Better pictures would help. It could be a neat variation.

I gotta say I don't like them either at first look. But this type of "pebble" frosted-type surface WAS used in WWII (see some of the later NS Meyer wings). Also used on some of the LGB wings post war. Its not like there is a huge market for CAP wings.

Still, the front looks good, but I don't recall ever seeing this on a WWII vintage CAP wing with this type of back (not that that means much). Better pictures would help. It could be a neat variation.

Thanks for all of the info! What would you like to see better images of on it ? Thanks again

Maybe a photo or two in natural sun light. Does the pin open 90 degrees or so or does it flop open all the way. Maybe some close ups of the hallmark

Maybe a photo or two in natural sun light. Does the pin open 90 degrees or so or does it flop open all the way. Maybe some close ups of the hallmark

I searched all over and can echo your sentiment of not finding a single other CAP badge with this backing! I am going to work on those better images tomorrow! Are we still thinking these are period ? Thanks

Comparing them to period insignia with similar style reverse i must say i like them!

That is the most important thing, if you like them, then that is all that really matters. I have to say, I still have some reservations but they really aren't that great and if the price was right, I may have bought them myself. The CAP was popular during and after the war, and it is possible that you have an insignia made sometime after the war?

CAP pilot wings aren't that expensive (relatively speaking) and they do cover an important area of paramilitary collecting. It seem to me that at the very worst, you have a later made restrike of a CAP wing probably using an original WWII die. At the very best, you have a novel and interesting variation of a CAP pilot wing of unknown vintage. Seems pretty cool to me, no matter what.

P

That is the most important thing, if you like them, then that is all that really matters. I have to say, I still have some reservations but they really aren't that great and if the price was right, I may have bought them myself. The CAP was popular during and after the war, and it is possible that you have an insignia made sometime after the war?

CAP pilot wings aren't that expensive (relatively speaking) and they do cover an important area of paramilitary collecting. It seem to me that at the very worst, you have a later made restrike of a CAP wing probably using an original WWII die. At the very best, you have a novel and interesting variation of a CAP pilot wing of unknown vintage. Seems pretty cool to me, no matter what.

P

I decided to put them up for sale! I paid about 65% of the going rate. I like things in my collection that i can be certain of so i decided to let them go and i will keep my eyes open for a set i am certain of! I will let the new buyer decide what he or she thinks they are! Thanks for all your help again!

I left a message for fellow Forum member Lee Ragan and asked him to stop by this thread and take a look at your C.A.P. Pilot wing illustrated above. Lee has authored several studies on Civil Air Patrol wings, patches and insignia. He's my "go-to-guy" for C.A.P. related questions. Maybe he can offer some insight on this piece?

I have an original Observers half wing that has the solid back this pilots wing has. It is been in my collection for nearly 30 years now. The two Pilots badges I have are not solid back like this one but are stamped. The known manufacturers of the 1940's era CAP wings were Green, Robbins and Meyer. Some had hallmarks and some didn't.

I wouldn't worry too much about the condition of these wings. Even being over 60 years old, they could easily look to be in like new condition if they had spent most of their time in a box in a dresser drawer. When you take into consideration that they were only worn when a CAP member was in uniform (which wouldn't be every day), and the fact that they can easily be cleaned.

These wings were used from early 1942 until replaced in 1949 means that many were actually produced post WWII.

Another point to consider is that the Observers half wing is more rare and for years has cost more than the pilots wings on the collectors market.

CAP collecting is such a limited market, I don't see how making a few of these would be worth the expense. If they are indeed a reproduction, it's a dang good one. I wouldn't be afraid to add this badge to my collection. That's just my opinion, but others may differ.

I have an original Observers half wing that has the solid back this pilots wing has. It is been in my collection for nearly 30 years now. The two Pilots badges I have are not solid back like this one but are stamped. The known manufacturers of the 1940's era CAP wings were Green, Robbins and Meyer. Some had hallmarks and some didn't.

I wouldn't worry too much about the condition of these wings. Even being over 60 years old, they could easily look to be in like new condition if they had spent most of their time in a box in a dresser drawer. When you take into consideration that they were only worn when a CAP member was in uniform (which wouldn't be every day), and the fact that they can easily be cleaned.

These wings were used from early 1942 until replaced in 1949 means that many were actually produced post WWII.

Another point to consider is that the Observers half wing is more rare and for years has cost more than the pilots wings on the collectors market.

CAP collecting is such a limited market, I don't see how making a few of these would be worth the expense. If they are indeed a reproduction, it's a dang good one. I wouldn't be afraid to add this badge to my collection. That's just my opinion, but others may differ.

Thank you both for coming on to help me out. I am glad this is a thumbs up piece! Do you have any idea which company would have produced this solid back! As Frost mentioned it reminds me a lot of late war or early post war meyers examples! Appreciate all of the help!

Thank you both for coming on to help me out. I am glad this is a thumbs up piece! Do you have any idea which company would have produced this solid back! As Frost mentioned it reminds me a lot of late war or early post war meyers examples! Appreciate all of the help!

I gather you are putting them up for sale? http://www.ebay.com/itm/WW2-Civilian-Air-Patrol-Pilot-Wings-Minty-Condition-/152295102029?hash=item23757ed64d:g:yTsAAOSwn7JYERNA