Some WW2 and Postwar era Bullion patches

Patchcollector

Patchcollector

Happy Friday all,
Recently I was looking through my WW2 era patches and realized that, over the years I've managed to pick up a few Bullion pieces here and there,so I thought I would start a thread to show what I've been able to accumulate.If anyone has any they would like to share please feel free to post them here.

I'll start with this 5th Division piece.I believe that it was made in Postwar Germany.I'm wondering if this would have been made before 1949 when Germany was partitioned and West Germany was born?

I'll be posting more as time permits.

post-13386-0-46263200-1477102999_thumb.jpg

Here's a Korean War era bullion of the 24thID from my collection.

The back side appears to have a glue residue from a previous mounting, and

I haven't figured out whether to try and remove this residue or just leave it be.

post-6249-0-60096900-1477164871.jpg

post-6249-0-31132000-1477164886.jpg

I would leave the backing most likely your patch had some sort of backing material that fell off at some time. Both really nice Patches

Thanks for the advice, which I'm going to take. I'd hate to ruin this piece just because the back side looks a bit cruddy,

and like you said, this may have been part of the original backing material. I really have no way of being certain either way.

Patchcollector

Thanks for the comments guys.Nice 24th piece R. Watkins,looks like it was sewn onto something at one point.As Wake1941 stated,it is the manufacturers paper backing and not from being pasted onto something.His is good advice to leave it there as attempting to remove it may damage the patch.

A few months back I posted a German made Alaska Defense piece that looks similar on the back.I'll post a rear view of it here.At first I thought like you that it may be paper from a scrapbook page but upon closer inspection realized that it was put there by the patch maker,so I left it alone.

post-13386-0-77986800-1477195139_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the comments guys.Nice 24th piece R. Watkins,looks like it was sewn onto something at one point.As Wake1941 stated,it is the manufacturers paper backing and not from being pasted onto something.His is good advice to leave it there as attempting to remove it may damage the patch.

A few months back I posted a German made Alaska Defense piece that looks similar on the back.I'll post a rear view of it here.At first I thought like you that it may be paper from a scrapbook page but upon closer inspection realized that it was put there by the patch maker,so I left it alone.

I see what you mean. The back of your posted image is remarkably similar to my 24thID patch. It's sure helpful to be in communication with folks that know their stuff. Much obliged for all the great feedback on my posting.

Bob

Here's another recent KW era acquisition from vets widow.

This 45thID bullion still has some of the stitches remaining in the patch from when it was removed

from the original uniform, and here's where I need some more advice from some of this forums Old Hands.

Should these threads be removed for appearance sake or should I simply leave them alone?

Thanks,

Bob

post-6249-0-62780000-1477751192.jpg

post-6249-0-11742800-1477751245.jpg

BILL THE PATCH

Here is a nice Japanese occupation 11th Abn I received from a forum member, it a little damaged but I like it. My dad's old unit.post-11207-0-28428300-1477778092.jpg

Patchcollector

Beautiful pieces guys,thanks for posting them.

Doughboy that 271st is really sweet.Very colorful and a great design.I've never seen one of those before.

Bill that 11th still looks great IMO.I like seeing worn examples.The bullion work with the wings is really cool.

Bob nice patch.It's great to get named pieces.If there's any leftover thread I always leave it in;IMO it adds character and shows that it was sewn on a one point.

Hello guys,
I'm need of a little help. I have a jacket that belongs to my birth father (whom I'm trying to located), with this patch on it. After some searching I narrowed it down to a patch that are from the 2nd Infantry Division, however no one seems to know of anything about them. It seem to be from some sort of track team (I could be wrong). There is also 3 additional patches as this one (Green 300MI., Blue 1000MI., Yellow 500 MI) .If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Poc%20%20%202nd%20Div%20WarpathRun.JPG

• 4 weeks later...