My first officer Ike

kai robert

Bought this office Ike recently, a very nice -45 dated jacket with laundty stamp inside. 28th infantry patch and airborne tab one the other side??

post-9415-0-20255600-1476989890.jpg

Looks to me like it is "xvb" stitched there. Could have a couple of meanings.

1. Name initials x.v.b

2. XVIII Airborne Corps, which would match the blue tab.

3.here is one possibility, Station xvb.... https://paulletters.com/natural-history-museum-in-world-war-ii-unnatural-and-far-from-historical/

The tab looks like it could be for an the 82nd AD, XVIII Airborne Corps., or 11th AD

Laundry mark H-6829 has 63 matches for those last four numbers.

Id look for clues on the uniform.

- thread and patch shadows in the area where a patch would have been.

- How many ribbon bars were present?

- which state did you find it.

- estate sale, auction, ebay?

- any more writing inside the pockets, sleeves, ect.

Looks enlisted to me....but the label says officer

I don´t know say "looks enlisted" ?. There are no difference between EM and officer on the outside, the difference is on the inside.

This jacket has the officer label below the inner pocket and there is no doubt that this is an officer Ike.

Looks to me like it is "xvb" stitched there. Could have a couple of meanings.

1. Name initials x.v.b

2. XVIII Airborne Corps, which would match the blue tab.

3.here is one possibility, Station xvb.... https://paulletters.com/natural-history-museum-in-world-war-ii-unnatural-and-far-from-historical/

The tab looks like it could be for an the 82nd AD, XVIII Airborne Corps., or 11th AD

Laundry mark H-6829 has 63 matches for those last four numbers.

Id look for clues on the uniform.

- thread and patch shadows in the area where a patch would have been.

- How many ribbon bars were present?

- which state did you find it.

- estate sale, auction, ebay?

- any more writing inside the pockets, sleeves, ect.

Yes, XVb is stiched. I bought it from UK, from an E-bay dealer. Maybe can ask him if he knows where he got it and I will look more on the jacket, use night vision and look for pin holes.

I wasn´t aware of the laundry stamp when I bought it, it came as a suprise when I got it.

I don´t know say "looks enlisted" ?. There are no difference between EM and officer on the outside, the difference is on the inside.

This jacket has the officer label below the inner pocket and there is no doubt that this is an officer Ike.

Many officer Ike jackets are "chocolate" colored. Perhaps that's why the other poster thought it looked "enlisted."

Many officer Ike jackets are "chocolate" colored. Perhaps that's why the other poster thought it looked "enlisted."

Aha, ok. Thanks.

Also, Officer ASNs are not included in the NARA database, so using that list of names would be pointless. Even if an officer started as an enlisted man, his officer ASN would be different than his enlisted

Yes, XVb is stiched. I bought it from UK, from an E-bay dealer. Maybe can ask him if he knows where he got it and I will look more on the jacket, use night vision and look for pin holes.

I wasn´t aware of the laundry stamp when I bought it, it came as a suprise when I got it.

"I bought it from UK, from an E-bay dealer" I think most of the stuff was still in use when after the war US Army battle troops left back for United States. Almost everything what is sold in Europe is "improved". That`s why most of the stuff is dated postwar. The stuff everybody would like to have is somewhere at home in the USA.

PS. 28th Airborne! Wow! :blink: He was probably one of the famous "tree jumpers" who jumped from trees onto germans while they were passing along. But several of the tree junpers were also Rangers ;) . So they should be also a Rangers insignia on the jacket. :D

"I bought it from UK, from an E-bay dealer" I think most of the stuff was still in use when after the war US Army battle troops left back for United States. Almost everything what is sold in Europe is "improved".

I disagree with that, 3 of my best groupings, named and not "messed" with are from UK.

I didn´t buy this jacket for the patches, just for it´s a very nice officer Ike and the price was right. 16 UK pounds, aprox. 19 USD.

The airborne tab looks a little wierd, have never seen anything like it.

There are no signs of a patch below the tab, no signs of collar insignia or ribbons, the only sign of use are patches and laundry mark.