Avengers of Bataan 38th SSI

Brian Keith

Does this conform to what is usually seen in these?

For some reason, I can't cut and past the info I wrote, and I'm not retyping it all out again.

Comments welcome,

BKW

One more photo to follow.

post-1549-0-08820200-1476754619_thumb.jpg

Not an expert here but your patch looks like one of those between the wars pre-WW2 patches where the embroidery is done on OD wool. However the fall of Bataan occurred at the beginning of WW2 so it can't be a between the wars patch. The style of lettering matches others I have seen that all seem to have been added afterwards to a standard OD bordered cut edge standard WW2 38th ID patch. I wonder if someone had a left over 38th ID between the wars patch where the lettering was added afterwards and sewn on a WW2 uniform.

Here are photos of what I was talking about concerning standard WW2 era 38th ID SSI that have been modified by the addition of the lettering. They used yellow lettering on this SSI.

post-1389-0-66544200-1476761002.jpg

post-1389-0-55281000-1476761019.jpg

Thanks for all the comments folks! I have no doubt it is original, just was curious if it was typical. I do know they are a bit hard to find. Here is a photo of the whole coat. It is very typical of a 38th vet.

BKW

post-1549-0-56472700-1476840647.jpg

Is it wrong for me to covet this jacket and these patches? :lol:

Brian, that's a nice looking coat! Is it from an Indiana vet? I really do need to pick up an example of this SSI.

Eric,

Stand in line, your behind me, I don't own it. Was found in an Indiana Antique mall a few years ago. No apparent name but am trying to decipher the partial laundry stamp. I need to try the night vision trick, UV didn't help.

I thought it was neat that it was an early "wooly" SSI, and quite a bit smaller that a standard one. How cool would it be to have a pair of the DI's you asked about on this! Thanks for everybody's comments and posting the great patches!

I was in the division for a few years, then the 76th SIB, now just at the Indiana RTI.

BKW

I love the version that Dave has shown. Believe it or not there is a version of what Dave has shown where the whole background is white with red letters all hand painted which is depicted under my name. I have it for sale if anyone interested they can PM.

• 5 months later...
vintageproductions

Erick wanted me to add this to the post.

One of the better patches I bought at SOS

battan.JPG

This is a variant I hadn't seen before.

Erick wanted me to add this to the post.

One of the better patches I bought at SOS

attachicon.gif battan.JPG

This is a variant I hadn't seen before.

Very cool Bob. Is that on a shirt above the pocket? Dan

Bob, Thanks for posting your new find, I am still amazed at the variety that exists for this insignia. I'm also still amazed I don't have one yet!

• 6 months later...

Another white whale down! I have been wanting to add an example of the "Avengers of Bataan" 38th ID SSI for several years now. Thanks to a forum member, I was able to obtain this one:

post-203-0-66948400-1507047235_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...