• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 FightenIrish35

FightenIrish35
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,581
  • 3,447 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 09:05 PM

Im trying to get the right ribbons for my uniform.
Id like to get your opinions on this set of ribbons?
Are they WW2?And what is the plasticy type of coating for?

Thanks Guys

Attached Images

• ribonnn.jpg
  • ribons.jpg

#2 72newport

72newport

BANNED

• Banned
    • Member ID: 4,199
  • 672 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 04:40 AM

Im trying to get the right ribbons for my uniform.
Id like to get your opinions on this set of ribbons?
Are they WW2?And what is the plasticy type of coating for?

Thanks Guys

Left to right: DFC Distinguished Flying Cross, Air Medal w/three oak leaf clusters (denoting 4 awards) and Army Good Conduct Medal.

#3 Captainofthe7th

Captainofthe7th
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,190
  • 4,310 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 10:14 AM

The ribbons are original but I don't believe the bar they are mounted on it period. I can see a pimple on the clutches.

Wolf brown made these plastic coated ribbons from WWII into Korea, and each ribbon is marked "wolf Brown" and the bar they were mounted on will usually be an aluminum clutchback bar that says WB on it. The clutches will also have a smooth face without pimples.

These are my favorite kind of ribbons, they look SO sharp.

Rob

#4 Lee Ragan

Lee Ragan
  • Members
    • Member ID: 97
  • 3,116 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 07:12 AM

I've never put too much stock into what kind of clutches came with a ribbon bar. Old clutches wear out, fall off, or just get replaced for some unknown reason. I've seen modern ribbon bars with WWII era smooth face clutches.
In answer to one of the original questions: the plastic ribbons were supposed to be tougher than the cloth kind. If they got dirty, they would be wiped clean with a damp cloth. They also did not fray like the cloth ribbons did, so they would look good and not have to be replaced as often.

#5 FightenIrish35

FightenIrish35
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,581
  • 3,447 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 06:29 PM

I've never put too much stock into what kind of clutches came with a ribbon bar. Old clutches wear out, fall off, or just get replaced for some unknown reason. I've seen modern ribbon bars with WWII era smooth face clutches.
In answer to one of the original questions: the plastic ribbons were supposed to be tougher than the cloth kind. If they got dirty, they would be wiped clean with a damp cloth. They also did not fray like the cloth ribbons did, so they would look good and not have to be replaced as often.

Thanks Lee and everybody for the information. Im just trying to do this right and get the right ones unfortunatly i didnt get those ribbons but I did get those plastic coating style of the ETO,GOOD CONDUCT, AND AMERICAN DEFENSE. I now have to find the exact same style of the Distguinshed Flying Cross and Air Medal Ribbon.
So my sarch for those now begins.lol.I shouldve stuck with the basic kind because I notice these style are more expensive and harder to find. http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/ermm.gif

#6 Mark M

Mark M
  • Members
    • Member ID: 569
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 06:58 PM

Forum members:

You are in the MEDALS & DECORATIONS "Reference Section". This area is where posts from the general Medals & Decorations "discussion section" (http://www.usmilitar.....?showforum=83) are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the various U.S. medals and military decorations.

As time moves forward, some of these posts may have additional information added to them by the moderators of this section. We ask for your input as well, especially in the correction of any erroneous information that may have inadvertently be posted..

We encourage further comments about this post and its content. In order to do so, you will need to start a new post in the general Medals & Decorations "discussion section" (here: http://www.usmilitar.....?showforum=83). And, as needed, we will be pleased to move any new and / or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference area as its own standing post.

Please be advised: posting and / or editing is restricted on this post to moderator's and forum staff.

Sincerely,
Chris / ADMIN

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users