Western Bowie

bill59

Hello, I recently acquired some items that I know belonged to a Marine. I know that he served in the Philippines and then onto Vietnam probably in the late 1960's. I have some bayonets and plaques he used in the Philippines, as well as what looks like might be some sort of military issued box/locker. Anyway, I thought I would start with this one. The Bowie is 14 1/2 inches long. From the photos, you can see it is marked on the guard as Bowie and Western, Boulder, Colo. USA. Guard and handle rivets are brass. No marks on the blade. Thanks for any help. Billpost-163899-0-81504400-1476719630_thumb.jpgpost-163899-0-02481000-1476719658_thumb.jpg

The bowie is correct for Vietnam era (small rivets, guard marked), but the sheath, I believe, is a later, post-war one. Most likely the original sheath wore out and the owner replaced it.

The D-ring sheath is correct for that knife marking, but whether it's the original or a replacement is problematic. More pictures of the front and back of the sheath might provide a clue or two.

Thanks for the information. Here are three more photos of the sheath. Now that you mention it, it does seem clean for a sheath. But the knife is, as well, along the edge and generally. My understanding is that he served in combat, but maybe not with this knife. post-163899-0-98768400-1476818159_thumb.jpgpost-163899-0-21604600-1476818354.jpgpost-163899-0-04461000-1476818373.jpg

That sheath is,(what I call), the second version D-ring/swing sheath. This is consistent with the exact sheath I'd expect to see with this version of the W49. Still it's usually very hard to say exactly when a specific knife got matched to the sheath that came with it. Also the second version sheath is made for several years. The next notable change to the sheath is the addition of the name WESTERN being embossed on the throat of the sheath. I still don't feel completely comfortable when those sheaths first appeared, but I'm confident that they are being made by 1980.

I've still not seen any good evidence that WESTERN was coloring these sheaths as early as the time frame before they left the factory. Certainly years later that would change. That being said the pictures of your sheath don't give me the impression of a sheath that was dyed after the sheath was assembled either. Typically the dye can be seen effecting the color of the rivets and grommets as well as the thread, as you can see from these pictures of another forum members sheath here.

post-17422-0-88966100-1476913292_thumb.jpgpost-17422-0-47548200-1476913312_thumb.jpg

It just might be that I can't see enough detail from your pictures, but the chance that this maybe an early example of a factory dyed sheath is worth it to me to take note of this sheath.

I put the date of manufacture of this knife at circa 1968, some believe that they were in the supply chain by as early as late 1967, I don't quibble with that view.