WWI Aviator's Dog Tag

VMI88

This weekend I picked up a hand-engraved dog tag named to a World War 1 aviator. It's a little difficult to read because the lettering is so lightly scratched into the surface, but it reads:

Lt. Geo. R. Neubauer

R.M.A

A.S.S.C

The reverse is even more difficult to read but it appears to be an address in Lynchburg, Virginia (near where this was found and where Lt. Neubauer is buried) and possibly a service number.

A.S.S.C stands for Aviation Service, Signal Corps, which was in existence from 1914-1918. R.M.A. stands for.Reserve Military Aviator, a rating that was apparently used from 1917 to around 1920.

I was able to find published orders placing Lt. Neubauer on flight status in June 1917 but that's about all I was able to locate of his military service. If anyone has additional information I'd appreciate it.

post-265-0-13193100-1476236096.jpg

post-265-0-77189600-1476236150.jpg

• 1 year later...

Your Information is all correct, except ASSC is Aviation Section, Signal Corps. Something that I want to caution you about is that this particular disc ( the M1910 pattern) was widely available in unused blank form after the war to scrap dealers. I have a really nice blank one in my disc collection. To my thinking, an officer would not have to scratch his name, etc. on a disc himself. It would have been stamped on for him by the company clerk or QMC clerk of his squadron. Very few men had to scratch their names on discs. Every company had a stamping kit to mark discs with. Yes, I know e.m. discs like this exist. My feelings are though that somebody got the needed info on this officer and made the disc up to make a little $$$$. You were able to find published orders on the officer. Others could have easily done the same thing, with nefarious intentions. I do not like this one. Yes, I have collected this stuff long enough to know there are always exceptions. Any other opinions out there guys? MHJ

Thanks for the information. I understand a hand-engraved item like this is next to impossible to verify and I would never put much money into it. If I recall correctly this disk cost me $3. The low price and the obscure place I found it led me to take a chance on it. I tend to lean toward it being good but of course I can never prove it and I doubt it has much resale value because of that. I have no idea why an officer would use a hand engraved disk, but it also seems likely that a faker could have easily found a stamping kit to use. Anyway, it's an interesting piece and I appreciate the discussion!

Glad your invested amount is low. You are most certainly correct that fakers know how to use the stamping kits, too. The stamping on the examples I have seen all looked very freshly done, opposed to a good one that has been around a hundred years. Yes, they can be aged to look old. The stamping kits are not hard to find. I have had two for over 20 years. Had your disc been an enlisted example I would not have had any real concerns, as they are documented in a number of collections. I just do not feel an officer would have to be bothered with this detail of his equipment. It would have been taken care of for him. Perhaps somebody on the Forum could offer additional information on this. I would love to know if others have similar officer discs. I only have one disc in my small collection of them, an enlisted example for a private, that has initials scratched onto one side with normal stamping on the other. I would love to be proven wrong on my theory, as that is what makes learning more about the hobby so much fun. MHJ