OFFICER IKE IN PINK SHADE (WW2)

Jamecharles

Hello everyone,

I recently bought this ike made in pink wool elastique gabardine, same materials of trousers.
What is your opinion and Did you seen other around? I m looking for another example :)

Thank you all

Giancarlo

post-770-0-73859600-1475995739_thumb.jpg

post-770-0-93576800-1475995750_thumb.jpg

Giancarlo,

I don't have the book in front of me, so I do not have the complete story line but in his book "The Look Of Eagles" 4th Fighter Group pilot and Ace Johnny Godfrey describes having a total "Pinks" uniform. Despite being a fighter pilot of some renown, I believe he describes that when he returned to the states and was wearing his pinks uniform he was threatened with arrest and court martial for being "out of uniform". I'll have to pull the book out and double check but that is the story to the best of my recollection.

A Pink wool gabardine Ike jacket is presented in Jon Maguire's book "More silver wings, pinks and greens".

Fellow forum member Jumpin' Jack shared his stunning 8th AF pink Ike jacket on his collection page here: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/197763-jumpin-jacks-collection/page-14

(Post #344)

The US Army never approved drab shade 54 (Pink) color for jackets. However, some officers, mainly USAAF officers, had pink jackets tailored locally, mainly by British tailors.

Here is mine:

post-157805-0-41263600-1476024359.jpg

post-157805-0-45142700-1476024360.jpg

Alex

These were approved for wear after WW2, but regulations stated they were NOT to be made from cut-down 4 pockets which your clearly is. It is the first cut-down I have seen.

G

I had also a full pink dress set, but was a cavalry dress set....so not exactly perfect for this ike jacket
​GS

post-770-0-95224400-1476037315_thumb.jpg

These were approved for wear after WW2, but regulations stated they were NOT to be made from cut-down 4 pockets which your clearly is. It is the first cut-down I have seen.

G

Is that for the "pink" shade or the Army Tan uniform? I have an officer's Ike with a Greek Elections SSI cut down from a Tan coat.

For reference, this is Jon Maguire's caption in "More silver wings, pinks and greens"

""Pink" was never an authorized color for uniform coats, but flyers did occasionally have Ike / Battle jackets tailor made in "pink" and wore them overseas."

G

Gil, I don't believe this is a cut-down from the tan TW's, but rather a commerclally tailored pink wool gabardine as indicated by the jacket fabric weight and the inner pockets. Jack

Perhaps, but the exposed gilt buttons are indicative of a cut-down. Jackets made to Ike specs have covered plastic buttons. The first one shown does look somewhat 'pinker' than the second which is definitely tan TW.

G

I see what Gil sees, the buttons, the extra-wide waistband and the coat-style rather than shirt-style cuffs are usually hallmarks of a cut-down coat. Of course that would mean someone had a non-reg pink coat specially made and then had it tailored again into a jacket. Who knows, but it sure is an interesting piece, thanks for posting!

Justin B.

I quote Gil and Justin, probably was a pink class A jacket cut down in late war, unusual at all points.

And I understand Gil when talk about Summer Class A Jacket for officer's cut down in late part of the war / post war.

I've an example here.

GS

post-770-0-34523900-1476104887_thumb.jpg

Here's a real tan TW jacket -- not the covered buttons, except on the shoulder loops.

BTW -- this one needs a new owner.

G

IMG_1593.JPG

John Pfannenstein

I really like seeing your uniforms.

It is really getting hard to find some of these uniforms.

John

I just thought I would add this for everyone to see. I picked it up at a vintage clothing store in the Hamptons a few years back. It appears to be a custom made windbreaker made from pinks material with a talon zipper, and a pale gold interior. I would love your opinions on it.

Thanks,

Vic

post-113193-0-40982400-1476728642.jpg

post-113193-0-14104200-1476728671.jpg

post-113193-0-50430200-1476728701.jpg

I just thought I would add this for everyone to see. I picked it up at a vintage clothing store in the Hamptons a few years back. It appears to be a custom made windbreaker made from pinks material with a talon zipper, and a pale gold interior. I would love your opinions on it.

Thanks,

Vic

Hi,

It looks like a 1950s civilian jacket. I have seen several 1950s women jacket with tailor tags completely made out of Army-style pink wool gabardine.

Best,

Alex

You are probably be right. I'm sure there were loads of these materials still on the market for years after the war. Unfortunately if it had a taylors tag it was lost to time. The jacket definitely has a custom feel to it though that I unfortunately can't capture with the camera on my phone.

Alex,

After writing the last post, I had to go and take a closer look at the jacket. If its for a woman, she must have been a big girl, because I wear a size 40 regular and it fit me great. Also I noticed the tailoring and the jacket is definitely not cut for anyone with breasts. Be that as it may, it still may be a civilian jacket, like you said.

Vic

Hi Vic,

Your jacket is definitely a men's jacket. I used the example of 50s women pink wool gabardine jackets because they are more common than the men's version.

Here's a Pink jacket made by J.C. Penney's in the 1950s example: (eBay item: 360427317593)

post-157805-0-77719400-1476806799.jpg

Best,

Alex