AEF Bicycles What Make is this Bycycle?

world war I nerd

world war I nerd

Each AEF Division / Regiment was authorized a certain number of bicycles (I have the numbers somewhere). Presumably the bikes were used in lieu of a horse or motorcycle by the MPs, runners & messengers who were attached to the various HQ Companies.

Can anyone ID what brand or model this particular bike is?

My guess is that it was European made, which would mean that it likely originated in either Great Britain or France. The close up of the logo was borrowed from a bike in another photo. However, I believe the same logo also appears on this bike.

Photos courtesy of the John Adam-Graf collection

It would also be great if additional images of bicycles as used by the A.E.F. were posted.

Thanks for looking ... World War I Nerd

post-5143-0-77973200-1475753525_thumb.jpg

Other picture from my files; no idea on where or when it was taken...

THAT is a GREAT photo, Johan!

I believe Scott from Baystate Militaria is just finishing the restoration of a Columbia Military Model. He might be able to shed some light on details, as well.

JAG

General Colt

Yes, Columbia Bicycles made bikes during WWI and WWII. I have a close friend who owns a 1942 Columbia Bicycle.

• 1 year later...

FYI-

The US Army shipped something like 26,000 bicycles to Europe during 1917-1918, but did not organize units similar to the European bicycle companies. The European armies found the bicycle to be a useful tool. It could be carried over obstacles, it could be loaded with equipment and pushed, and bicycle units could get to objectives faster than marching infantry. They were very useful for reconnaissance. Yes, a motorcycle was faster, but the bicycle was SILENT. I have not seen info as to what happened to the 26,000 bikes we sent to England and France, but my guess would be that most were issued to the European units already using the "pneumatic cavalry" as additional military aid. MHJ