USMC medical Bolo and scabbard..question

dan_the_hun84

dan_the_hun84

My uncle found this rig while cleaning out junk in a house he's working on and gave it to me. I'm not particularly familiar with USMC stuff or edged weapons, but shouldn't the front of the bolo be round? I did a little looking around and there have been a couple others turn out like this with a "bowie" point. If it was modified it was done very well, not by bubba with a harbor freight file. The scabbard looks good, marking read "USMC BOYT 1944- but the cartridge belt looks like a standard army issue no USMC markings I can find

Any info on the bolo/scabbard would be helpful

post-52690-0-03557800-1475516334.jpg

post-52690-0-69560400-1475516352.jpg

Occasionally you'll see them on ebay with a "Bowie" style blade. Suspect this was done as a personal preference by troops who may have carried them. Have seen nothing in writing anywhere that states they were produced this way. It's cool! SKIP

I've also seen these re-tipped like this. IMHO, I tend to doubt that this happened much if at all while these were in service. The bolos' used to be quite common in the surplus market for many years at very reasonable prices, and people often used them as a platform for self expression.