DESCO Divers Rebreather

doyler

I have had this for years.Never really knew what it was and came across some information and was able to identify it a couple years ago.I had thought it possibly a piece of fire fighting equipment.

Information points to it being the DESCO "B" Lung or Buccaneer.

These were developed by DESCO in Wisconsin.The DESCO Company has a really great history.

Early models were developed for use for the OSS and the Navy.The first models had a face mask that was "bubble" shaped in the front and the later ones were more triangular shaped and reffered to as the "Jack Browne" mask.Jack Browne was the inventor of the "B" Lung and an inventor and had a very intresting life.

Not a common item as far as I know and not sure how it got here or why its here in the land locked cornfields but is an intresting piece of history and equipment that saw both commercial and military use.

More of its history..

http://www.therebreathersite.nl/03_Historical/Desco_B_Lung.htm

post-342-0-87864800-1475208865_thumb.jpg

post-342-0-59056800-1475208880_thumb.jpg

The data sheet on the webb site list the material possibly as Protosorb a soda lime based product.

I think there is a few black looking pellets that I sa3w moving the vest that looked like charcoal but its hard to say.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Man- I don't even collect diving gear, but that rig makes me drool.

I would imagine that photos of these in use would be pretty tough to find- seems to me they'd have wanted to publicize it as little as possible because of its use in sneaky operations.

I've got some pics from the '60s of Desco Mask rebreathing/recirculating rigs in action, but they are in civilian deep-diving oilfield projects utilizing diving bells.

Man- I don't even collect diving gear, but that rig makes me drool.

I would imagine that photos of these in use would be pretty tough to find- seems to me they'd have wanted to publicize it as little as possible because of its use in sneaky operations.

I've got some pics from the '60s of Desco Mask rebreathing/recirculating rigs in action, but they are in civilian deep-diving oilfield projects utilizing diving bells.

I have a Teco helmet with accessories.....Information on them is pretty hard to find, so would imagine period photos would be even more so....Bodes

post-158180-0-35921300-1428445922.jpg

I have a Teco helmet with accessories.....Information on them is pretty hard to find, so would imagine period photos would be even more so....Bodes

post-158180-0-35921300-1428445922.jpg

:P:love:

Bodes, you might find the discussion at this link interesting.

I remember reading about Victor Berge's Mask when I was in training.

https://www.scubaboard.com/community/threads/fullface-mask-by-victor-berge-circa-1940-s.570614/

Thank you for the link, was an interesting read....Would like to read some of the books written about the TECO mask....Seems Amazon is a source, but I haven't checked their site lately, Bodes