Pre war West Point officers collar insignia question

Matt4thCav

Hi, I noticed that many officers at West Point Academy had the insignia from academic staff while others (as in the second picture) kept the infantry insignia and put the crest on the straps. I would like to understand why this distinction.

Thanks for Help

Matteo

post-158039-0-84544800-1475203534.jpg

post-158039-0-25623400-1475203376_thumb.jpg

This is just a guess as I don't know how it worked back then, but there are officers temporarily assigned to USMA who likely wear their branch of assignment and then there are "permanent professors" who remain at USMA and perhaps wear that insignia as their branch.

The "crests" on the shoulder loops are the Distinctive Unit Insignia for the USMA. The insignia on the lapels is the Branch of Service Insignia for permanent professors at the academy. Two different insignia.

The BG pictured above was probably the Commandant of Cadets. As generals don't typically wear branch insignia (Medical, Engineer and other specialized branches are common exceptions), he probably just chose to wear the USMA insignia.

That there General is Bob Eichelberger Superintendent 1940-42, in 1942 Eichelberger leaves the Point in March 1942 to command the 77th Division, and during the war commanded EYE Corps.

post-34986-0-69912200-1475296077_thumb.jpg