WWI 1st Division 16th infantry Sgt Patch

ateam69

I need a little help deciding wether to remove this misplaced Sgt stripe on a uniform I just picked up. All the rest of the patches look correct, but I'll let you guys determin that!

I would leave it, if it were mine.

Were you able to find a name in it anywhere? I know the seller couldn't. I did a ton of work trying to cross reference where he purchased it to the 16th Infantry with no fruits for my labor.

AustinO,

I did find his 5 digit serial number faded out on the inside of the jacket. There's no easy way to get a name out of that unfortunately. He said the uniform came out of Connecticut, but I couldn't find any information either. For the price I bought the set at, I doubt anyone would just put it together, but then again I don't know.

I checked the WWI Connecticut books and there were B/16 hits but not enough to confirm one person over another (different parts of state, or ranks, or ending in different units). It was purchased near the NY border, so I also considered it came from down there -but thats another can of worms. Sending you a PM...

I would see if there is a ghost on the inside of the sleeve before I removed it. I have what I think is a 1912 tunic with the same type chevrons ? I figured it was probably a reservist that kept the tunic and put on later type stripes. Those I'm guessing are 1920's era. Other than that its a beautiful uniform.

By the way my Great grand uncle was in the 16th regt. Co H

The chevron looks to be the 1920 pattern, which corresponds to a very confusing time period (for both the soldiers and today's collectors) in chevrons. The War Department tried to simplify chevron usage that evolved during WWI by adopting 7 standard chevrons (on dark blue background like this one). Prior to this, chevrons were on OD backgrounds.

Regs established on April 30,1918, called for wear of chevrons on just one sleeve to conserve wool. In Aug 1919, the War Dept and the QM General's office agreed that one kind of chevron would be used on both woolen and cotton service coats; single chevrons would be worn, not pairs; backing for all chevrons would be olive drab felt; etc.

Other than changing of the background to Navy blue in 1920, these standards continued until March 1921 when chevrons were returned to both sleeves. HOWEVER, Emerson notes on page 279 of his book CHEVRONS, "Initial 1920 plans were for soldiers to only wear chevrons on the left sleeve (my emphasis), continuing the practice conceived to conserve cloth..." He illustrates the point with a shirt worn by Sergeant Oriville McCombs with a chevron on just the left sleeve.

Your uniform smacks of post-WWI flavor, and I think, the chevron is exactly as the solider placed it in 1920-1921.

FWIW, JAG