Tarawa KIA Marine Purple Heart

vintageproductions

vintageproductions

Have been so busy traveling to shows lately, I haven't had a chance to posts this.

A couple of weeks ago at a local antique market, I found this sitting in a dealers show case and was shocked. The vendor couldn't remember where he got it, but said he had had it sitting in his case for a long time. In my mind I was thinking what kind of markets had he been setting up at that this was still there.

The private was a member of Company G, 2nd Battalion, 8th Marine Regiment , 2nd Marine Division and was killed on November 20, 1943

ph4.jpg

ph1.jpg

ph2.jpg

ph3.jpg

ViewfinderGyrene

Rest In Peace, Marine. Thank you so much for [in a way] rescuing it so he could have a permanent remembrance here while it is in your care.

~VFG

TALBOTT, Russell S., Pvt., USMCR. Father, Mr. William R. Talbott, Route 11, Box 468, Phoenix, Ariz (na) + TALBOTT, Russell Steele, 521062, CoG, 2ndBn, 8thMar, 2ndMarDiv, FMF, Gilbert Is, November 20, 1943, killed in action (mc)

Super nice medal! Nice engraving, too. Here is his birth record. As you can see, his name is Steele Russell Talbot (Steele being his mother's maiden name, and Russell being his Dad's middle name). Obviously he reversed the names, which isn't uncommon when it is a maiden name like this.

post-151812-0-59476800-1474979976_thumb.jpg

This is his findagrave memorial, just with a wrong year on the stone. Seems his mother died when he was just a little chap.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=141885600&ref=acom

vintageproductions

Thanks for all the extra info.

Since I have been bombarded with questions and offers to buy, I have put it on our website.

I think his IDPF would be some interesting reading. The Death Rosters have him being buried at the Mausoleum #1 in Hawaii. Then moving to Arizona for his final resting place. I'm wondering how long it took to find his body? And was he buried in Tarawa, or did they just decide to bring him directly to Hawaii. I consider his family very lucky to find him when all that time had passed.

Battle of Tarawa - Nov 1943

AZ paper says MIA - March 1944

Discovered his remains on Tarawa?

post-20483-0-41245000-1475165687_thumb.jpg

I'm trying to find out whether his remains were some of those found in May 2015 and awaiting final indentification at Hickam Field by History Flight and DOD

Smwinter207, correct you are, he was brought home to 1204 Fillmore St, Tuscan, AZ on a ship by Oct 12, 1947, when it appeared in the newspaper, and re-interment then. They put the wrong date(1942) on his mausoleum plaque.