39 replies to this topic

#26 oldabewla

oldabewla
  • Members
    • Member ID: 7,997
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 07:37 PM

Better be there friday then ;)  :lol:

I been told that the vintage clothing buyers get in before the vendors do.

#27 doyler

doyler
  • Members
    • Member ID: 342
  • 33,855 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 09:34 PM

I been told that the vintage clothing buyers get in before the vendors do.

Seems thats the program lately.

Some of the vendors/dealers set up tables early friday morning that can be there to help out. Then can set up their table for sale.The door dont open for the other vendors till 4pm.You will typically see some shoppers in there that are not table holders or who dont set up and maintain a table for the show.The public is also let in as there is a friday evening pass for a fee of $20

Most vendors dont stay long on friday.They set up and leave which is understandable after a long drive and wanting to get to the motel or try to beat traffic later,grab a bite to eat and the late opening time.There is a brisk flurry of business though.

Typically there is no food or beverages available in the building on friday.There is a food wagon out side but its mainly open on saturday and sunday during the show hours.Im not sure they are contracting throught the fair grounds since they are not located in the buildings.There is a food vendor near the gunshow but I recall it just sold drinks on friday or was just prepping for saturday and sunday sales.

Bring plenty of clothes as this building has no heat.

The October and April shows have proven to be a bit chilly at times.I recall only one time in 30 odd years of going to the Battlefield shows (at the Fair grounds or Oscar Johnson Arena) there was portable heat rented.Not uncommon to have to wear gloves there and you can see your breath freeze in the air.THere are outlets available and vendors than can will bring heaters from past experiance.

But its Minnesota and theres always a chance of snow.. :D  :lol: 

Not bashing its just peronal observations as I have done this how for years both as a collector,buyer and casual seller as you had to typically get a table to be there on friday but not so much now.

Edited by doyler, 28 September 2016 - 09:48 PM.

#28 Shenkursk

Shenkursk

MODERATOR / SPONSOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 183
  • 980 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 11:03 AM

For the record - when Bob had his store in Minnesota, his tables at the show were essentially 50% books, 50% showcases stocked to overflowing with militaria.  Made every effort to bring a mix of low to high end stuff, something for everybody, and a lot of eye candy that looks good to the customers when the enter the door.  His cargo van was always filled to capacity.

When he was planning his move to Nevada, we discussed the future of the show.  As Bob mentioned each of the pros and cons, he kept coming back to the idea that he wanted to keep the show going for the Minnesota collecting community.  "It's just good for the hobby."  

As a dealer and a collector both, Bob has my complete respect and sincere appreciation.  

This is not the biggest show around, but that Minnesota / Wisconsin collecting community is a GREAT group, and has always made an excellent show.  I would encourage anyone who is considering it to attend!!

#29 MWalsh

MWalsh
  • Members
    • Member ID: 440
  • 5,730 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 09:02 AM

Craig, here is a little secret about the Twin Cities show..... There are about 75 or so other dealers at the show too. Just wanted to make sure you were aware that there are a few other sellers there besides him :) THEY might have something you want too. :)

I also disagree with you on everything he has being sold in EBay. I have picked up some really nice things from him over the years - right there at the show and his tables.

I am just glad he has put the show on all these years. We are really fortunate in Minnesota having two national dealers shows every year - very very few places have that.

Come to the April show - get a table too!

MW

#30 38Driver

38Driver
  • Members
    • Member ID: 68,384
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 05:56 PM

I miss the shop. I got some good stuff there over the years. He always was reasonable. Hoping to get down to the event this weekend

#31 Kurt Barickman

Kurt Barickman

Forum Subject Advisor

• FORUM SUBJECT ADVISOR
    • Member ID: 199
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 06:17 PM

Agreed, I know Bob did sell quite a few German items over the years on Ebay when it was still okay to do as such. But still a good time to be had; Upper Midwest collectors I believe are grateful for somebody to provide a venue twice a year.

Kurt

#32 SARGE

SARGE

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 130
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 02:22 PM

I attended the show this weekend and had an excellent show.  I picked up three swords along with a few other things I could not live without so I am a happy camper.  The motor vehicle traffic was horrible in Minneapolis but that may partially be due to the golf tournament held this same weekend.

#33 Mr.Jerry

Mr.Jerry

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 119
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 05:43 AM

Here is a fun little video I made of the weekend MN show.  I found some great stuff there. Nice to see several forum members too! (Although it doesn't show us getting hit by a muffler and losing our brake lines, waiting 3.5 hrs on Friday to get it fixed...) But hey it's not just a hobby- it's an adventure!  

Thought this was kind of funny too when the van was in the shop so we walked to a local Goodwill store.

Attached Images

• IMG_4266sm.jpg

Edited by Mr.Jerry, 05 October 2016 - 05:49 AM.

#34 jguy1986

jguy1986
  • Members
    • Member ID: 112,103
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 07:52 AM

I went to school in Amish country. I alway got a kick out of seeing the special buggy spots in the parking lot at Walmart.

#35 gwb123

gwb123

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 1,506
  • 17,293 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 06:40 PM

Great video!  It should be used as an instructional vehicle for anyone thinking of getting into the business!

#36 Mr.Jerry

Mr.Jerry

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 119
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 08:34 AM

Thanks Gil,

"How to earn up to $3/hr. selling the leftover junk of defeated nations"

#37 vintageproductions

vintageproductions

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 492
  • 16,150 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 09:23 AM

But then you also have to show the bad food and interesting hotel rooms we have all stayed in also.

#38 gomorgan

gomorgan
  • Members
    • Member ID: 75,820
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 09:46 AM

And the added expense of buying Big Boy Pants, to wear in Louisville for you Bob...

#39 vintageproductions

vintageproductions

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 492
  • 16,150 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 10:32 AM

And the added expense of buying Big Boy Pants, to wear in Louisville for you Bob...

George, because I am a militaria dealer, I can't afford long pants, just shorts.....

#40 zotig111

zotig111
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8,230
  • 955 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 12:15 PM

George, because I am a militaria dealer, I can't afford long pants, just shorts.....

And they are also considered surplus!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users