USS North Carolina dog tag

bellasilva

I've been extremely lucky lately with Navy items. This one is no exception. Moulton Dexton Hines enlisted in US Navy in November 1939, and first boarded the USS North Carolina in April 1941, and served on her for the next 3 years as a Boatswain's Mate. The North Carolina was the most decorated American battleship of WWII, earning an incredible 15 battle stars. In 1944, Hines transferred to the USS Hercules and saw more Pacific Theater action while on board.

The tag has a very nice, deep acid fingerprint with plenty of wear and tear to it. The purchase also included another tag (luggage), named to Hines with the North Carolina as his address.

post-104906-0-40033200-1474925217_thumb.jpg

Cool set of tags! Like the luggage tag, that's for sure!

He also served on the Wyoming (AG-17) and the Tuscaloosa (CA-37).

Moulton Dexton Hines

Born: 30 Sep 1920

Died: 13 Sep 1993

Enlist: 2 Nov 1939

Release: 17 Nov 1945

Enlist 2: 1 May 1958

Release 2: 8 Jun 1964

Thanks Elizabeth! I did see that he served on the Wyoming in 1940 but didn't see him on the Tuscaloosa. Do you recall what date range he was on the Tuscaloosa?

He was on muster rolls for the Tuscaloosa from Jan-Mar 1940, then on the Wyoming from Mar through at least Sept 1940. Hope this helps!

What a coincidence! Just a couple of days ago I picked up a WWII Navy uniform set to a sailor who was on board the USS Tuscaloosa during the Normanday D-Day invasion!

• 5 years later...