Japanese Sword taken from Kwajalein

Blu1989

I've already posted about this particular sword a couple of years ago but it wasn't until just recently that I found out exactly where it was taken from. The original owner, whose father captured this sword, mistook a sword taken by another one of his relatives on Tarawa for this sword and apologized for this mix up today when I talked with him over the phone. He had originally called my mother to talk with her about their friends/co-workers at the VA and wondered how I was doing with his father's sword. My mom handed the phone to me and we talked for a long time about his father's service during the war. He asked me if I wanted some copies of his dad's records and of a couple of pictures of his dad for my collection to go along with the sword in my display and I was honored to accept them. He brought them over later in the day and I have to say it's one heck of a paper grouping, though it is all copies of the originals, which he didn't wish to part with at this time. Anyway his father enlisted in September of 1940 and from another document I have he reached corporal in August of 1941, just before Pearl Harbor. Looking at what I believe is his partial DD-214 he was also a Pearl Harbor survivor and ended up with a few awards and medals. Later from the looks of it he also was a part of the invasion of the Kwajalein atoll, which his son said he thought his father was in the 22nd Marines though he couldn't remember off the top of his head. His father also extended his enlistment in September of 1944 and became an MP at the Klamath Falls Marine Corps Station in Klamath Falls, Oregon at around the same time.

post-159863-0-40462700-1474866042_thumb.jpg

post-159863-0-75290100-1474866059.jpg

post-159863-0-72034400-1474866074.jpg

Finally a picture of his father serving as an MP in Klamath Falls, Oregon. I hope you all enjoy these as much as I do.

post-159863-0-58519300-1474867039.jpg

• 2 months later...

BTT for the 75th Anniversary of Pearl Harbor. RIP Sgt Comeaux (2nd Engineer Battalion, 2nd Marine Division, Pearl Harbor, HI; 2nd Separate Engineer Company, 22nd Marine Regiment, 3rd Marine Division, Kwajalein Atoll, Marshall Islands)

Appears to be the type of sword with the cast metal handle and machined blade...Do the numbers on the scabbard match those on the handle?......Nice grouping, Bodes

Appears to be the type of sword with the cast metal handle and machined blade...Do the numbers on the scabbard match those on the handle?......Nice grouping, Bodes

The numbers do in fact match Bodes but being in multiple attics for 70+ years the finish isn't the best on both the sword and sheathe.