Cut down OL M1905E1 identification

PaulS

I have an OL 1943 bayonet that was cut down by OL that looks like the fuller has been lined with some sort of metallic material. texture is uneven but not pitted. I have never seen this before. Is this normal? Scabbard is cut down, throat is parkerized and marked B/N.post-9337-0-73212100-1474797280_thumb.jpgpost-9337-0-62041900-1474797306_thumb.jpg

Almost looks like the fuller was untouched and still raw forging showing. Stamps look different to me as well. Interesting

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Hi,

MT247 is right. The forging is rough, but OL left many of their bayonets that way. In the picture, the top bayonet is "shorty" cut down from Korea (unknown maker) and the bottom bayonet is a greasy OL.

What is particularly great about your OL cutdown, is that it is cut down by OL. Most manufacturers put their initials on the 1905s they cut down. Some collectors look for "same company" cutdowns. It is hard enough to find the OL cut down mark by itself, let alone finding it on another OL bayonet. Great find.

Marv

post-26996-0-24116200-1474813300.jpg

Thank you Marv and MT247 for all your help. Thank God, I have not wasted my money on junk. I have been wanting to get an OL for a while now, and finally found one from a trusted source. I need an in depth detailed reference book with pics. My searches for information on the internet in some regards provide less information than what I would like to normally go and start purchasing examples. Thanks again fro your help.

Contact forum moderator "Bayonetman" here and get a copy of his CD. You can even down load the content onto your favorite smart device so you can easily access it on the road.