Wrist Watches with the AEF

world war I nerd

world war I nerd

I'm currently writing a personal project on WW I Wrist & Pocket Watches titled "Trench Time". Basically it relates how the wrist watch replaced the pocket watch in the trenches of WW I.

I'm hoping that forum members might be able to help me out by providing high resolution photos of the WW I era (1900 to 1919) wrist and pocket watches in their collections or high resolution scans of period images showing wrist and pocket watches in use or being worn by American soldiers.

Whether, American, British, French or German, images of ALL WW I era wrist and pocket watch styles are welcome. Though the focus of the topic is on WW I, early examples that date to the late 1800's through to the turn of the century are also welcome.

What I desperately need are images of the U.S. Army, Signal Corps wrist and pocket watches that were issued between 1914 and 1918.

I'm also seeking information (and images) on the following known U.S. Army, Signal Corps Wrist Watch Specifications:

General Specification No. (Unknown), adopted on November 3, 1914

General Specification No. 579-D, adopted on October 24,1916

General Specification No. (Unknown), adopted in 1917

In addition I am also seeking images, information and the specifications on the pocket watches that were issued by the U.S. Army, Corps of Engineers between 1900 and 1919.

Feel free to post information and photos here or contact me via the forum's message system.

Thanks to all for looking and hopefully helping ... Brian, aka World War I Nerd

PS, the following photos will give you all an idea of the sort of images I am looking for ...

Three American Doughboys wearing wrist watches ... photos courtesy of the John Adam-Graf collection

post-5143-0-50180000-1474779803_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Examples of three commercially made WW I era wrist watches & a Corps of Engineers pocket watch ... wrist watch photos courtesy of Advance Guard Militaria.com

world war I nerd

Period watch and watch accessories advertisements like this one dated April 1918 are also helpful.

Thanks again for looking ...

post-5143-0-29010900-1474780305_thumb.jpg

I will try to find my example, it came from a relative who served in the great war and who wore it through the entire war! The history of ww1 bring on the change from pocket watches to wrist watches has always interested to me! If i can find my example i will send you images via pm! Thanks again for sharing your project with us!

world war I nerd

Mariner, thank you. I look forward to seeing your watch!

The story of the rise of the wrist watch is actually quite interesting. It all started around 1550 with something called a "clock watch" that was several inches in diameter and worn either attached to the clothing or suspended around the neck. Clock watches only had an hour hand because they were notoriously inaccurate. Most being off by several hours per day!

Over time, clock watches were gradually reduced in size and slimmed down. Technical innovations made the clock watch more accurate and a minute hand was added around 1680. The transformation form clock watch to pocket watch came about after the wearing of a waistcoat became popular in 1775.

Bracelet watches became a popular accessory for women in the late 17th or early 18th century. Men, thinking that bracelet watches were too effeminate and too small to keep accurate time steadfastly refused to wear the wrist born time piece until the early 1900's.

Photos verify that some British soldiers began to wear what was known as a "wristlet" (a pocket watch mounted on a leather strap) as early as 1885. Despite their use by a handful of military men, an officer or gentleman in civilian attire wouldn't be caught dead wearing a wristlet on the streets of London! In the first decade of the 20th century, some America, men were overheard saying that they'd sooner wear a skirt in public than a bracelet watch.

Brian: Decades ago I did an article on wristwatches in WW1 in the Company of Military Historians journal - Military Collector and Historian ... at one time it was available on the web - I think in a horological society journal. I quoted a poem by Edgar Guest entitled "The Wristwatch Man", which gave insight on popularization of the wristwatch during WW1. Steve McG

world war I nerd

Todd, what a beautiful Signal Corps watch. I.m pretty sure that they weren't dated , but I'm going to ask anyway ... Is it dated or marked with anything else other than the words "Signals Corps" on the dial and "U.S." followed by a serial number on the back of the case?

Erick, thanks for adding the link to the older WW I watch topic ...

Erick & Todd, look for an email from me regarding your watches.

These three young American soldiers, armed with mess kits, "eatin' irons" & canteen cups are all wearing wrist watches ... photo courtesy of the John Adam-Graf collection

post-5143-0-63199800-1474943036_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Steve, I still have photocopies of the article you wrote on the chain-mail shoulder pad issued to Hotchkiss machine gun crews. Thanks for the tip about Edgar Allen Poe ... I'll try and track that down.

world war I nerd

Mrwoco, nice photos, thank you. That's also the first time I've ever seen a rifle sling used as a waist belt!

The majority of wrist watches worn by the men and boys of the AEF were commercially made watches that were purchased by the individual soldiers. This is why you see so many different watch styles and different types of wrist straps.

So far, my research (which is still ongoing) indicates that all regulation wrist watches issued during WW I were more or less identical to the one posted by Dr_Rambow. However, Army watches were supplied by a number of different manufactures. So far, Zenith and Waltham are the only two makers that I can definitely say made Army wrist watches between 1917 and 1918. Others may include Elgin and Hamilton. I'm still looking, but I've yet to locate any solid proof.

Dear All: I believe the face marked signal corps watches were all contract purchased by the AEF in France. Tissot is another of the makers. Steve McG

world war I nerd

Steve thanks for that clarification. Your absolutely correct, as the AEF contracted directly with several Swiss watch making firms for the delivery of several thousand pocket and wrist watches.

Waltham wrist watches was one of the brands that were definitely issued stateside by the Signal Corps.

world war I nerd

Possible WW I era, U.S. Army issued wrist watch markings ...

Left: The Swiss firm of Zenith is one of the watch makers that was known to have supplied the AEF with wrist watches overseas. Therefore the Signal Corps marked Zenith watch shown earlier in the post may have been purchased and issued by the AEF overseas, as opposed to being purchased and issued by the U.S. Army in the United States ... photo courtesy of the Dr_Rambow collection

Center: This Tissot watch is also Signal Corps marked, but in a different style (straight line vs an arc). This particular style matches the way that stateside issued U.S. Army, Signal Corps pocket watches were marked. Because of this, it's possible that this marking style was how all U.S. Army pocket & wrist watches made and issued in the United States were marked. This however, is pure speculation based only on a few photos and and a scant amount of actual information ... so naturally this theory still needs to be proven.

Right: Research seems to indicate that all WW I era regulation watches, whether issued by the AEF or by the U.S. Army were marked on the reverse in a similar manner to the engraving seen on the back of this Depollier waterproof, "field & marine" watch that was cropped from a 1919 dated advertisement.

post-5143-0-24450300-1475115894_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

I forgot to mention that I recently discovered that in addition to the Signal Corps & Corps of Engineers, the Ordnance Department also issued pocket watches during WW I, and presumably earlier. This leads to the question: did the Ordnance Department also issue a wrist watch to be used by artillery officers & NCOs?

I've also read that watches with a sweep second hand were used by medical personnel, but I've found nothing to indicate that pocket or wrist watches were issued by the Medical Department.

Here is my grandfathers Elgin wristwatch that was presented to him by his fraternity brothers at the University of Illinois when he enlisted early in 1918. I figure the guys purchased it locally in Champaign.

...and it still works!

Thanks for looking!

Kim

post-60-0-21423100-1475536372_thumb.jpg

post-60-0-67387300-1475536388_thumb.jpg

post-60-0-93590700-1475536405_thumb.jpg