I found a completely packet parachute from 1954.

Learo2000GT

I found this in my grandfathers basement after he passed away. I have no idea of its history and value. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. It is completely packed and never used. Even has the original manual and other things not opened. I will post pics shortly thank u

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found this in my grandfathers basement after he passed away. I have no idea of its history and value. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. It is completely packed and never used. Even has the original manual and other things not opened. I will post pics shortly thank u

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

More to come

northcoastaero

The parachute assembly could be a USAF BA-15 with one or two T shaped Capewell riser releases on the shoulder.

Could you post an image of the front of the assembly?

Yeah just a second. My grandpa was a piolit in ear war 2 but never spoke much about his military service. He was a bomber piolit that was shot down out of London. The coolest thing we found was a big piece of silk they used to paint the nose art on there bomber. I am trying to track down more facts on that and it will goto a museam. I know the parachute is way after war war 2 and we kinda wounder why he had it. He did continue to fly and we life by a big air force base so probally got it from a buddy. Also found a scare that made a map of Europe on it and the store goes he used it to escape and evade after being shot down. More pics coming. It really doesn't hold any family meaning and I am not a collector of such and being it's post war war 2 I wouldn't think and museams would have interest. At same time don't want my kids playing with it as a toy and th greatness of what it represents be destroyed and I am sure a collector of such things might be interested. Going to take photos now

Ps the first picture was of a machete I accidently posted. Figured that out. It was from early 1940s in the pacific for marines. Not sure what hownhe oft his hands on that.

Think I need a reply before I can put up more pics. I found the rip cord in the packaging and a little manual called survival uses of the parachute.

Think I need a reply before I can put up more pics. I found the rip cord in the packaging and a little manual called survival uses of the parachute.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Its been opened or deployed.The lines are tied as if it were rolled up after use.

Thank you. Shows how little I know. I was in the army but was a leg. I figured it wouldn't be in that good of shape with a manual crisp and new and a jump cord in the original bag if it was used.

Any other replies would be appreciated? Is it rare to have a complete parachute like this in the age range and is this parachute rare? Value? Where would a guy go about selling something likf this. Thanks

Im far from an expert but these would even be used or modified for early sport jumping and sky diving.

I bought two of this style/type that had been opened or used.Mine were modified for sport jumping.The seller found them in a storage unit.They had been opened and were a little dirty .I sold them for $65 each.The buyer wanted the canopies for sun shades or car covers at car shows.

This said yours is in very nice condition.Im sure there are those who could repack it.Price is often in what an intrested buyer will pay and how complete it is can determine value.Not really extremely rare.

WW2 chutes have more collector intrest and these can get a little expensive to ship due to weight.Most use them for static displays.I have known a couple of people who have done 1950s era flight gear displays.

Is a nice early USAF parachute....please post pics of the riser connectors...on the front left and right side...

There are several parachute experts that will give a great assessment of the rig with pics of the front harness...a nice frontal shot laid flat..

I would think you could sell on our forum, and save ebay fees

I just saw this. I will post up some more pics tonight. I would like to nail down what it is before listing it for sale. I would like to know just to know the history of the parachute. Still have no idea how my grandpa ended up with it. Only think I can think is he continued to fly after war war 2 and we live next to a big Air Force base, McCord ARB in Washington state. Our other thought was maybe he was DB Cooper being we live in Washington state but it's just a family joke. There is no way

northcoastaero

Your parachute may be a USAF BA-15. Someone here will have to check Dan Poynters book The Parachute Manual Vol. 1 to verify the part number. D.B. Cooper may have used the USN/USMC/Army NB-8.

It seems to be a 50C7024-15 parachute set seeing the 51J7730 bag and the 21B7752 ripcord.

Interesting to note that the bag was certainly first designed for the 50C7024-11, 12 or 13 sets wth the new C-11 30 feets diameter canopy since it's labeled "30 ft dia". Normally the harness should have only one Capewell relesase on the left shoulder.

The BA-15 was an evolution of the BA-11 and 12 sets but equipped with the oldest C-9 28 ft diameter canopy.

Is there the automatic F-1B release set with it?

Very scarce but very difficult to well re-package it!

Franck

phantomfixer

Send it my way the folks at DAFB life support love a challenge...and should be similar to their BA-18s and 22's...their tech data goes back a few years but not that far...

• 4 months later...

Sorry I never replied back. Life got busy. It sure what a F-1B release is. Phantomfixer not familiar with your organization? So if I was to list it on eBay what should I list it under for a name and how much should I ask? Also If anyone here is interested hit me on a PM. Tell me what pictures will help. Phantomfixer if there is something here of interest for your organization and it is a nonprofit supporting vets or an organization that's look for this kind of stuff let me know. I don't want to make money off of it if it would go to a good use. Thanks in advance Doug

northcoastaero

I am almost certain that the parachute assembly is a USAF BA-15 (Back Automatic parachute assy.) The F-1B

is an automatic ripcord release which is an automatic parachute opener that is wound-up with a special key

(remove the top cover first) and can be set to open at an altitude set by the parachute rigger. The red

or orange knob is pulled out of the cable housing to activate the opener when the parachute descends to the

set altitude. Then, the cable at the other end (which is routed around the upper manual ripcord pin) pulls

the manual ripcord pins from the parachute locking loops to open up the parachute flaps. If the F-1B unit

is armed, you may not want to pull out the red or orange colored knob from the cable housing. At least

do not hold onto the cable at the other end while you pull out the red or orange knob because the cable

will quickly be pulled through the cable housing and into the body of the unit. Also, what CLASS number

is the F-1B unit? Such as F-1B Class 2, etc. The F-1B unit was used along with and eventually replaced

by cartridge fired automatic ripcord releases. Be careful with them also, especially if there is a live

cartridge in there and the unit is armed. Hope this helps.