USMC APH-6

TLeo

Recently bought this Vietnam era aph-6 Marine squadron helmet from VMA-121. Helmet is ID's as is the ms22001 mask to the same aviator. Needs a set of pads inside which I already ordered and maybe some new foam in the earcups but should display nicely with only those additions..I believe at the time they were flying the A-4 Skyhawk and later transitioned to the A-6 Intruder.

post-5081-0-25964900-1473978362_thumb.jpg

post-5081-0-12842600-1473978401.jpg

very nice helmet Tleo ,

Really like this kind of gear and the time frame when they fly with these helmets.

Thx for sharing...

P.S thanks for always commenting any post if somebody would do a effort to post something on the forum.

northcoastaero

Nice helmet and mask set. The helmet appears to be an APH-6A or APH-6B upgraded to APH-6C with the plastic

ear cups. The MS-22001 mask has the Grumman A-6 Intruder oxygen connector at the end of the hose for use

with the Martin-Baker GRU-5 ejection seat. The A-4 Skyhawk would use a mini-regulator with a high pressure

lower REDAR hose with a quick disconnect or locking connector at the end depending on version of the A-4/

ejection seat/seat pan.

Nice helmet and mask set. The helmet appears to be an APH-6A or APH-6B upgraded to APH-6C with the plastic

ear cups. The MS-22001 mask has the Grumman A-6 Intruder oxygen connector at the end of the hose for use

with the Martin-Baker GRU-5 ejection seat. The A-4 Skyhawk would use a mini-regulator with a high pressure

lower REDAR hose with a quick disconnect or locking connector at the end depending on version of the A-4/

ejection seat/seat pan.

Good to know about that oxygen connector...thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice set. VMA-121 has converted from A-4 to A-6 in early 1969. I would have been keeny to get such an Intruder set. Masks of this version are not easy to find.

I'm sure that Yves "Croc" could tell us more about this A-6 crew man.

Franck

Very nice set. VMA-121 has converted from A-4 to A-6 in early 1969. I would have been keeny to get such an Intruder set. Masks of this version are not easy to find.

I'm sure that Yves "Croc" could tell us more about this A-6 crew man.

Franck

Maybe he will see this topic and chime in. Love to hear any information he might turn up.

Hi

Nice helmet, I made quick research, William G VON GLAHN (born 29 aug 1943) was an USMC NFO. He served from october 1965 to 1974 (commissioned on 1 april 1966). He was NFO qualified in 1967 as a 2LT and was promoted 1 Lt on 1 july 1967.

So for me it meens that this helmet is from the early 70s when VMA 121 transformed in VMA(AW) 121 flying A6 with NFOs.

Best Croc

Hi

Nice helmet, I made quick research, William G VON GLAHN (born 29 aug 1943) was an USMC NFO. He served from october 1965 to 1974 (commissioned on 1 april 1966). He was NFO qualified in 1967 as a 2LT and was promoted 1 Lt on 1 july 1967.

So for me it meens that this helmet is from the early 70s when VMA 121 transformed in VMA(AW) 121 flying A6 with NFOs.

Best Croc

Thanks Croc. I found only a small bit of info on him when I tried to search so your info about being a NFO/BN and the dates is great.

• 6 months later...