Golf Club de Saigon patch

Siamundo

I thought I would share this patch and ask if anyone has any opinions about it. The patch is embroidered on a very thin piece of green wool/felt and has a really odd woven plastic material backing on it. I have wondered if it might be from the inside front crown piece of material from a ball cap. I bought it from someone who sold golf memorabilia, not military, but all he could tell me is that it came with a collection of golf club patches. Currently on ebay there is a handbook on course rules from the Golf Club de Saigon that is dated 1968 and features the same logo on the front.

post-2744-0-14670100-1473767240_thumb.jpg

Patchcollector

Looks funky enough to be real IMO ^_^

Knowing the Vietnamese wartime penchant for using whatever is available,the backing could be from anything, from a hat to a rice bag to a shower curtain,etc,etc.... :lol:

Thanks Patchcollector, and I'll admit it is a funky one alright. Never seen another one to even have anything to compare it to. It would appear this design was at least in use in the late 1960's and I would have to think that more than a few senior military officers, journalists and diplomats stationed in and around Saigon probably played a few rounds there during the Vietnam War. On line, it looks like there are several golf and country clubs in modern Saigon, or Ho Chi Mihn City, but the latest date I could find mentioning this club specifically by name was 1971.