WW2 other than UNIS markings on field gear.

Pbaczuk

I have a few haversacks and knapsacks with small box markings that I do not want to mistake for UNIS markings. Does anyone know what they mean. I checked my Ops Terms and Graphics and came up with reconnaissance for Fleming and medical BJ Obrien. I could be wrong-most likely am. Maybe some has the decoder.

post-162927-0-54080200-1473723428_thumb.jpg

post-162927-0-97753700-1473723439_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Do you know what that -1- at the bottom of the pack means? I have an OD7 upper that has that marking on the inside upper portion but appears to be done b y the manufacturer.

That is "HQ" for headquarters. Today, that might be referred to as H&S for headquarters and service company.

So, it definitely looks like an HQ to you? I think that the second part is "177". Do you know what that would represent?

The stenciled rectangle is what I am wanting to figure out. If you look at my third image from the top , it is the same thing. For your piece and mine... it is safe to say the unit used the same format. White background in the box assigned to Headquarters. They may be 5th MarDiv but I haven't seen any period images or any documents that serve as a directive.

-P

• 3 years later...