US Shipping Board Press Release

carnut63

This photo has been around forever but this is a press release so I thought it was special. Can someone please explain how these press releases work? Where did this paper on the back come from? How many were made?

Tyson

post-6259-0-30765100-1473721130.jpg

I spent 30 years on and off as a journalist and worked as a press secretary for politicians, so I've handled or written more than a few press releases.

The format of that release - a paper stuck to the back of a photo - was used extensively by commerical news services. Depending upon the number of newspapers on their distribution list, there could have been hundreds of these printed. The caption - called the "cutline" - was often used word-for-word by the newspapers. The photos are originals, made from negatives.

There were also press photos with the cutline printed right on the photo: those were ones sent to newspapers by an early version of what became the fax machine. Here's a thread showing both types: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=32675

I will say that although there may have been hundreds of copies of each press photo, few survived, especially ones as old as that. Generally, the newspapers had no need to keep them once they used the photo.