Through the Wheat....Marines in WW1

TLeo

I've been reading this book...Through the Wheat, by BG Edwin Simmons, USMC and Col. Joseph Alexander, USMC who finished the book after the death of Simmons at his request. Great read about the struggle of the Corps to raise and equip early regiments for service in France even though Pershing and others in Washington did not want them sent overseas.

It follows in very good detail the arrival, training in France and then being thrown into the lines to replace retreating French units who had been decimated by the German offensive toward Paris. It then has a very good account of Belleau Wood and I am just getting to the sections following that historic battle and the Soissons battles. It also then covers more such as St-Mihiel, Blanc Mont and even the early struggle to develop Marine Air squadrons during the war.

I look forward to finishing this one and am sure the remainder will be as good as what I have read so far. I highly recommend it.

BrigGen Simmons was known as "the Collective Memory of the Corps" due to his renown as a historian and vast contributions to Corps history...I will have to look into this book

BrigGen Simmons was known as "the Collective Memory of the Corps" due to his renown as a historian and vast contributions to Corps history...I will have to look into this book

You will easily recognize quite a few names of those who went on to memorable careers in WW2 and after.