Which bayonet is this?

stealthytyler

stealthytyler

I know nothing about edged weapons. Can someone identify this bayonet for me? The sailor is carrying an m1903 rifle. Does an M1 Garand bayonet fit a Springfield 03? Thanks!

post-131595-0-73901400-1473279859.png

THE M1 bayonet was originally a cut down M1905 bayonet, the M1905 was designed in 1905 ,for the M1903 springfield. So the M1 bayonet is essentially a short M1905. That is putting it simply. The experts can give you more specific details

I believe the 1903 Springfield rifle originally had a ramrod bayonet attached under the barrel which was pulled forward when needed. The picture seems to show a Model 1905 bayonet in a type II leather scabbard. The 1905 bayonet fits the 1903 Springfield rifle. When the M1 rifle (Garand) was produced, they used the same 1905 bayonet. During WWII the 1905 bayonet was produced in a second production and had plastic grips and was carried in the familiar M3 green fiberglass scabbard. Later in the war (1943) the military had the 1905 bayonets cut down to a 10 inch blade, which became the M1 bayonet. Hope this helps.

Marv

USMarineCorps

I believe the 1903 Springfield rifle originally had a ramrod bayonet attached under the barrel which was pulled forward when needed. The picture seems to show a Model 1905 bayonet in a type II leather scabbard. The 1905 bayonet fits the 1903 Springfield rifle. When the M1 rifle (Garand) was produced, they used the same 1905 bayonet. During WWII the 1905 bayonet was produced in a second production and had plastic grips and was carried in the familiar M3 green fiberglass scabbard. Later in the war (1943) the military had the 1905 bayonets cut down to a 10 inch blade, which became the M1 bayonet. Hope this helps.

Marv

Could be the type II leather scabbard, but wouldn't the USN MK1 scabbard make more sense?

Frankly, I might reconsider my assertion of the scabbard being a type II leather scabbard. The metal throat on the scabbard looks a little too short to be type II. On the other hand, the throat looks a little too long to be an M3 or USN MK1., or even a type I. It appears that he is wearing a WWI cartridge belt around his belly. It looks to me like there is likely a Krag type hanger on the scabbard to allow it to hang as low as it does. If the scabbard is a USN scabbard, where is it attached to the guy? The double belt hook on the USN scabbard requires the holes of a cartridge belt to be retained, doesn't it? In regard to the question about a sailor using a USN scabbard making sense, as far as I know, the USN MK1 scabbard was made for the plastic bladed training bayonet. It is possible that a sailor, if equipped with a bayonet, could have used a USN scabbard, although it is just as likely that the Army scabbard was used. The same goes for the Marines.

All in all, if the picture were a little more clear, we could solve all these questions. I welcome anyone who has any other ideas (or a computer that can enhance this picture).

Marv

Not a Model 1905 (Type 2), the ratio of throat to overall length is not right.

Unfortunately the Model 1905 (Type 1) and the M3 / USN Mark 1 have essentially the same ratio so cannot be sure. In the photo it does look like it is at an angle to the belt so it MIGHT be the Model 1905 with the swivel hook, but it is not clear enough for me to be sure. I guess it is possible that it might be an M3 with the belt at an angle at that point. Might help if we knew the date of the photo with some accuracy.