Recent Guidon finds

doyler

Found these two recently.

One is a Quartermaster unit and tag dated 1960

The other Im unfamiliar with but has the old white Philadelphia undated QM tag.

post-342-0-54520400-1473204182_thumb.jpg

post-342-0-34792500-1473204207_thumb.jpg

Thanks Jerry

The unassigned crossed my mind as well. ;)

Also reminds me of the cut out cap emblems short lived of post WW2 war era

Can you date the era by the QM tag?

This one was carried...you can see the marks where it was nailed to the guidon pole/staff

I cannot figure out how to post a link, and the URL is so long that I am afraid I will mess it up, but here's a crack at it anyway: http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Catalog/HeraldryList.aspx?CategoryId=9185&grp=2&menu=Uniformed%20Services

In case I screwed that up, go to The Institute of Heraldry page at http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil, then click on Uniformed Services, then click on Flags and Guidons, then Click on United States Army Guidons.

That will bring you to a page showing a number of illustrations of guidons, including three that resemble your second guidon. If you click on each of those, I think you will find that the description for Non-Branch Oriented U.S. Army Service Schools is the most likely identification for your guidon.

Thanks Steve

Looks like a couple possibilities. The numbered USAR may be close?

The spec tag is definately a lot older than the QM one which shows a date.If these guidelines are good for older Guidons this does fall into those categories as a numbered headquarters to the USAR.If I understand correctly the unassigned Battalions just used the unnumbered guidon with emblem only.

I thought the service school definition was closer, but these are the current guidelines. Who knows what was in place when this guidon was made & used.