EM Dress Droop Wing on eBay

2/4 Marine

Photos of the set I mentioned earlier, sorry not better quality. I missed bidding on this set. But note the "SILVER" mark to one and not both of them. Enlisted type version, but flashed in silver and gold for dress.

post-1315-0-19052600-1474687242.jpg

post-1315-0-87367000-1474687249.jpg

post-1315-0-80955500-1474687260.jpg

post-1315-0-31247700-1474687267_thumb.jpg

According to Volume 1 of Frederick Briuer's book, the Silver stamp was no longer used at the time this pattern was in use. He states it had to be no longer labeled "Gold" or "Silver". I'm still leaning towards Chinese made. Just my opinion and observation.

Any other reason than Fred's note in his book? Why Chinese? Existing Chinese made military insignia from the 1930's-1940's tend to be fairly crude and display Chinese characters from what I have seen.

Mike

Here's a "SILVER" marked example of the droop wing officer collar insignia from my collection. I have no reason to believe that these would be Chinese made.

Mike

post-1315-0-07322900-1474687954.jpg

post-1315-0-60247100-1474687959.jpg

This emblem is the reason our hobby is so much fun. Without a true provenance we can only offer opinion. History, metallurgy, style; all have a play in determining authenticity. s/f

Has anyone checked the threads?

The likelihood of a Chinese jeweler having American Standard threading dies is slim, I would guess.

Hey a selection of brass nuts from a hardware store, and, without using pliers, screw the new nuts on to the screw. If it fits perfectly with no undue tightness or sloppiness, chances are it's an American Standard size. If it's sloppy or seems to be an "in between" size, there's a good chance it's theater made.

I deal with a lot of foreign screws and nuts in my work. The only one that comfortably fits common European threads/metric is an 8/32 size, but as far as Chinese threads go I would believe the likelihood is that they're going to be differences.

Look for a slight hand filed taper at the end. If it's a factory finish with no file marks, this points to it being handmade.

In reviewing your images, the threads end in a factory finish and not handmade.

Just my opinion, though.

Has anyone checked the threads?

The likelihood of a Chinese jeweler having American Standard threading dies is slim, I would guess.

Hey a selection of brass nuts from a hardware store, and, without using pliers, screw the new nuts on to the screw. If it fits perfectly with no undue tightness or sloppiness, chances are it's an American Standard size. If it's sloppy or seems to be an "in between" size, there's a good chance it's theater made.

I deal with a lot of foreign screws and nuts in my work. The only one that comfortably fits common European threads/metric is an 8/32 size, but as far as Chinese threads go I would believe the likelihood is that they're going to be differences.

Look for a slight hand filed taper at the end. If it's a factory finish with no file marks, this points to it being handmade.

In reviewing your images, the threads end in a factory finish and not handmade.

Just my opinion, though.

All great points that should be considered!!

Mike