Attached Images

• image.jpeg

#34 2/4 Marine

2/4 Marine
  • Members
    • Member ID: 12,180
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 07:31 AM

I've taken better pics they are on pages 1and 2. Any additional thoughts as we have better pics now?

#35 bobgee

bobgee

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 503
  • 6,279 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 11:42 AM

Great pics. Any further leads as to when or actually this beautiful EGA was made? Bob

#36 themick

themick
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,105
  • 872 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 12:32 PM

I have to admit that those new pictures make the EGA look much more convincing as a period piece.  

Steve

#37 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 2
  • 26,798 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 02:36 PM

I have to admit that those new pictures make the EGA look much more convincing as a period piece.  

Steve

Agree: large-sized droop wing EGA's are scarce, but I wonder if an original was used to make a low-resolution mold? If it was someone's attempt at a total counterfeit, I wouldn't expect it to be made from silver nor marked as such.

#38 2/4 Marine

2/4 Marine
  • Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 05:19 PM

I would imagine that if it was a repo they would have made more then just one example. I believe no one has come forward with seeing an example like this one before? I think I've received enough feedback and will go ahead and hold on to the emblem. Thanks for all the help everyone.

#39 themick

themick
  • Members
  • 872 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 08:30 PM

Good decision.  Hold on to it. I certainly would.  if our hobby has taught us anything, it is that we never know what discoveries are right around the corner!!

Steve

#40 themick

themick
  • Members
  • 872 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 08:34 PM

BTW, on frame #33, what is that marking below the "silver" mark?  Is it a marking?  As I remember, if Chinese, these were called a "chop".  Correct me if I'm wrong. 

Steve

#41 0811gysgt

0811gysgt
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8,847
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 09:20 PM

This same seller sold an entire collection of solid Eagle, Globe, and Anchors. Many more difficult to find than others.

I bid on almost all of them, to include this one, and did not have much luck. I did manage to purchase a nice USMC 1st Nicaraguan Campaign Medal from this seller though.

I like this emblem and would bet it is in fact Chinese made.

Good purchase 2/4.

#42 Dirk

Dirk

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 171
  • 3,298 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 12:39 AM

Steve you are correct it is the chop Mark. I just wanted to show the raised word silver to show it was done my some Chinese silversmiths. I hope the EGA of this thread turns out to be Chinese made.

#43 normaninvasion

normaninvasion
  • Members
    • Member ID: 4,253
  • 2,437 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 09:33 AM

Have been reading this thread and pondering on it since it started. I have a few questions and thoughts regarding this piece. I believe it is safe to assume this was not made by the major producers, H&H ect. However, this is a known pattern that is typically found unmarked or marked H&H oroid, correc me if I'm wrong as I don't have my ref. around. Can't recall ever seeing a silver stamp like this on an EGA but have seen 10k block hallmarks. 

Maybe some of the "China Hands" can answer this: how likely and affordable would this piece have been to EMs in China if it was made over there, also figuring in this was during the depression? This emblem appears to be a direct caste from a known example. If it was US made, was it practical to market a solid silver example to EMs? 

Seeing the better pics that were posted, this piece contains a lot of details that are lacking in reproductions, rope, anchor bands on stock ect. But there are some oddities to me, such as the cratering on the back of the wings.

Just some thoughts for discussion,  jeff

#44 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
  • 26,798 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 09:46 AM

Have been reading this thread and pondering on it since it started. I have a few questions and thoughts regarding this piece. I believe it is safe to assume this was not made by the major producers, H&H ect. However, this is a known pattern that is typically found unmarked or marked H&H oroid, correc me if I'm wrong as I don't have my ref. around. Can't recall ever seeing a silver stamp like this on an EGA but have seen 10k block hallmarks. 

Maybe some of the "China Hands" can answer this: how likely and affordable would this piece have been to EMs in China if it was made over there, also figuring in this was during the depression? This emblem appears to be a direct caste from a known example. If it was US made, was it practical to market a solid silver example to EMs? 

Seeing the better pics that were posted, this piece contains a lot of details that are lacking in reproductions, rope, anchor bands on stock ect. But there are some oddities to me, such as the cratering on the back of the wings.

Just some thoughts for discussion,  jeff

I have seen a lot silver items purchased US troops in China. Even though it was the Depression, a US military salary was probably quite a lot of money in China (and even stateside, when you consider the GI's got steady paychecks and free food and housing).

The "chop" mark and the fact it is marked and apparently made of silver does seem to mark this (pun intended) as a Chinese copy of an original. If US-made, it would have said "STERLING" or "92.5," although I can't even recall seeing any US enlisted EGA's made from silver. The large size droop wing EGA's (worn on the visor hat) are far less common today than the collar-sized pieces, and one could assume that the ratio was about the same "back in the day." So, getting a locally-made copy in China would likely be a much cheaper alternative to having an H&H piece shipped from the USA.

#45 normaninvasion

normaninvasion
  • Members
    • Member ID: 4,253
  • 2,437 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 10:06 AM

I may have missed it but don't believe there is a "chop mark" on the EGA. I think the chop mark was in Dirk's post in ref. to the silver hallmark

I'm unsure whether that is correct that the cover emblem was available in the same ratio as the collar emblems. There was some debate that this pattern was never officially sanctioned, hence the limited number of these cover emblems.

#46 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 22
  • 22,029 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 04:34 PM

I, too, have avoided commenting on this piece. Some of the wear, as well as the 'blob' on top of the anchor head/side of globe have me apprehensive. I'd want to handle it in hand before I made my opinion

#47 2/4 Marine

2/4 Marine
  • Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 08:26 PM

Brig, I have no problem shipping it to you to take a look.

#48 usmcaviator

usmcaviator
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,315
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 09:28 AM

My opinion: While a little cruder than other insignia like it, this is an original period piece to the 1930's and not Chinese made.  Through Alec Tulkoff's research, we know that these droop wing hat devices were private purchase and thus some were probably made by lesser known firms/jewelers hoping to get in on the action.  Some were obviously more skilled than others.  I have seen this "SILVER" mark before on droop wing pieces.  Specifically, an officer dress set of the droop wing variety (yes these existed!!).  The set slipped by most scans and sold on E-bay for a "song and a dance" about 8 years ago, because most probably thought they were "fantasy".  I saved pics and will post when I find them.  Fred Briuer is currently working a thorough history of the droop wing emblem in Volume 2 of his EGA book including proof that the design was not manufactured by NS Meyer until around 1932.

Mike

#49 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
  • 26,798 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 09:42 AM

My opinion: While a little cruder than other insignia like it, this is an original period piece to the 1930's and not Chinese made.  Through Alec Tulkoff's research, we know that these droop wing hat devices were private purchase and thus some were probably made by lesser known firms/jewelers hoping to get in on the action.  Some were obviously more skilled than others.  I have seen this "SILVER" mark before on droop wing pieces.  Specifically, an officer dress set of the droop wing variety (yes these existed!!).  The set slipped by most scans and sold on E-bay for a "song and a dance" about 8 years ago, because most probably thought they were "fantasy".  I saved pics and will post when I find them.  Fred Briuer is currently working a thorough history of the droop wing emblem in Volume 2 of his EGA book including proof that the design was not manufactured by NS Meyer until around 1932.

Mike

I've been waiting for you to jump in on this Mike: your assessment of vintage EGA's goes a long way in clearing up mysteries.

#50 EGA-DOG

EGA-DOG
  • Members
    • Member ID: 7,989
  • 660 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 06:12 PM

Mike

According to Volume 1 of Frederick Briuer's book, the Silver stamp was no longer used at the time this pattern was in use. He states it had to be no longer labeled "Gold" or "Silver". I'm still leaning towards Chinese made. Just my opinion and observation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users