M1911 Experimental Saber For Sale

Spathologist

what is wrong with it I don't do swords

Nothing's "wrong" with it. XM1911s are one of the rarest of US Cavalry sabers, and I was posting a heads-up for anyone who is interested.

I'm interested, but my beer budget won't stretch to the $5000+ that will be needed to land it.

Did you also see all the pieces of the XM1905s, at least one of which was an SA? I wonder how they all ended up it the condition they're in? Why would someone strip off the hilts? Real pity.

The description said they were all Ames, but the one in the middle certainly looks to have SA markings. The one on the bottom also looks to possibly have the "clipped" tip found on some SA sabers.

As for the furniture being missing from the blades, it's not uncommon and I've stripped a few myself. They were all in relic condition, not worth much if anything as collectibles, certainly not in the condition of these. One is shown in Farrington's book on page 260. I took them apart to look for import markings on the tang (which I found) and to compare the tang shapes with M1902 blades.

I also think some of the bare blades you find are the result of Ames importing blades excess to the number of furniture sets made by Springfield. This is apparently not the case with these as they all look to have the pommels.

post-1047-0-77872200-1472996205_thumb.jpg

In addition to the lot you pictured above, there is an Springfield XM1905, SN 108, in lot 3627. It is also missing the guard.

post-160923-0-39540800-1472999390_thumb.jpg

post-160923-0-18713900-1472999328_thumb.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

I was really surprised how cheaply it sold - $3,407.50. I couldn't afford it, but if I knew it was going that cheaply I would probably have bid anyhow. A lot of the items went rather cheaply. I myself, for example, picked up 3 M1913s. Two were from Lot 3698 featured two M1913s, both in metal officer garrison scabbards. One was a 1913-dated Springfield Armory, the other a 1918 LF&C. At a price of $881 they won't qualify as "Bargain-of-the-Year", but that is quite a bit less than they usually sell for. The third M1913 was a 1918 LF&C in the normal canvas enlisted scabbard. It was part of a lot of 6 assorted US swords. I calculate it cost me about $260 - again, quite a bit below the going price.

post-160923-0-18315800-1475894956_thumb.jpg

post-160923-0-16725500-1475895055_thumb.jpg

Spathologist

The hammer prices were surprisingly low on everything in this auction.

I picked up a couple of lots for myself. They went waaay below where I thought they would.

I'm with you - I wish I had bid on a few more lots myself.

The market has been soft for some time now. Were the low prices at this auction just a fluke, or are they indicative of the overall depressed state of the market for old swords? I love these prices while I'm buying, but I hate to think of the loss I'd take if I were to sell. I'm hoping the market for old swords will recover, but I fear it may reflect a long-term decline in interest among the younger generations.

The market has been soft for some time now. Were the low prices at this auction just a fluke, or are they indicative of the overall depressed state of the market for old swords?

It seems to be a function of the upcoming US election. Set up at my favorite Militaria show yesterday, Brought some great stuff. Saw a lot of great stuff for sale. Did not see a lot of stuff changing hands.

Collectibles, and other highly discretionary forms of investment--especially those that rely primarily on disposable income, seem to be the first to slow down reflecting the uncertainty in the markets.

Hopefully it will be better next year.

pony soldier

Hello all:

Just checking into the forum. On the Poulin auction, have to confess that I am the one who picked up the M1911, serial no. 167. Like all of you have said the prices went way low. I tend to believe the last post stating it is a function of the economy. Prices for this sort of thing are currently depressed and likely to remain so for a while. I spoke with Poulin several months ago about the 1911 as it was originally to be listed in their April auction, but ended up in October. As some of you have read I had earlier picked up M1911 serial no 114 with the black and gold color scheme. I liked this one more because it had the better service look. That said given what I thought the price level would be I would just watch and forego the buy. But when prices were low I had to bite. Not bragging, just lucky this time. I am now trying to figure a way to sell 114 for a decent price to get some dollars back.

Pony Soldier

I don't know if it is the economy or what but I bought three swords at the Minneapolis Militaria show last week and noticed that dealer prices were very flexible. Two dealers that I dealt with were amenable to haggling so this may be a continuation of the same trend that has favored sword buyers lately. This has been going on for the past year, including SOS in February.

I spoke with Poulin several months ago about the 1911 as it was originally to be listed in their April auction, but ended up in October.

Did Poulin provide any insight as to why this sword was back on the market again so soon after its sale in their Oct 2015 auction where it went for $5620? Did the original sale fail to go through for some reason?

Sorry, I have no knowledge about what happened. Your comment about a failure to follow through sound like a very good possibility given the changing market conditions. I am talking to them about the shipping arrangements and will see if they can offer any thoughts. I will also be trying to sell 114 when I can find a buyer. With it sold I am trying to fill my last hole in the military portion I am interested in, the Hicks knife.

Pony Soldier

Ken, I hope you find a nice one. I'm glad I'm not into collecting 19th century Army Riflemen knives. I really like their looks and history, but their scarcity and price tags would really frustrate me.

Dick