610th Tank Destroyer Battalion Grouping

Championhilz

I just picked up from Ebay this small paper grouping belonging to Lt. Charles Russell Garis, who was killed on February 9, 1945, while serving with the 610th Tank Destroyer Battalion. Garis was inducted into the army in April 1941, accepted into OCS in September 1942, and eventually assigned to the 608th Tank Destroyer Battalion. He was sent overseas in the spring of 1944 and assigned to the 610th. Lt. Garis is buried in Arlington Cemetery.

Here's a Christmas Card Garis sent to some friends in 1944:

post-274-1222227909.jpg

post-274-1222227995.jpg

Great grouping!

Just as an FYI, I checked the 610th TD Battalion History I have-- Garis is listed in the KIA section.

Regarding his activities at the time of his death, the 610th was supporting elements of the 4th Division near the Belgium/Luxembourg border and moved into Germany on February 7. Garis, who was a lieutenant in the Recon Company, was temporarily attached to B Co., and was killed when he was caught by artillery fire outside of an Infantry command post just north of Neidermehlen, Germany on February 9. Treasure that grouping.

Regards,

Greg

• 10 years later...

Hello, do you still have these items belonging to Lt. Garis? I ask because my grandmother is Lt. Garis' cousin. At 87-years-old, she still has some fond memories of her cousin and is close with some of his direct descendants, whom I'm sure would appreciate the return of these items (if you would be so kind and amenable).

Thank you in advance for your consideration.

Best,

Colin

Colin James Beisel

[email protected]

• 4 years later...